Dislocated shoulder

DISCLAIMER: The information provided herein is in relation to a role playing game based on a fictional book series. None of the information provided herein should be used to treat yourself or your pets. Please consult someone trained in first aid, Human Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, or another appropriate professional before attempting to treat a living creature.
Dislocated shoulder
Overall:

A dislocated shoulder is the event in which the ball joint of the shoulder is completely removed from the cup of the shoulder-blade, stretching the tendons that normally hold it in place. It is typically characterized by severe pain and inflammation in addition to the joint separation. The circumstances of the injury might also cause additional symptoms to present themselves.

Notes:
  • This condition has a high probability of re-injury.
  • This condition applies administrator controlled re-injury rules to the character.
Related Herbs: Broom, Colt's Foot, Coriander, Daisy, Horsetail, Little Daisy, Poppy, Rosemary, Willow,
Related Symptoms: Inflammation, Pain, Severe Pain,
Mild Cases
Details:

A dislocated shoulder is considered mild when the joint and the socket do not completely separate and the ball sits loosely in the socket.

Duration: A half-moon without movement, a half moon of light movement, (Minimum of) 2 moons of light duty.
Treatment:

CAUTION – Herbs for pain should be kept minimal. Over-treating the pain symptom can result in the cat being unaware of the damage they are causing themselves.

  • The shoulder must be forcibly returned to the socket. This is best done by having one cat retrain the torso of the patient while another pulls on the leg (it should be noted that incidental lacerations and puncture wounds are possible due to the amount of force needed and should be treated after the leg is set).
  • Restrict the patient to the Medicine Den with no movement for a minimum of a half-moon.
  • Careful introduce light movement after the course of a half-moon. Overdoing things as this phase will result in the loose tendons failing to keep the joint in the socket and the shoulder separating again.
  • Return the patient to duty carefully, starting as lightly as possible and slowly upping the stress, returning the patient to lighter duty at any sign of strain or potential re-seperation.
Residual Effects:
  • Temporary lameness.
  • Medium probability of permanent lameness.
Complications:
  • High potential for repeat injury (75% probability for re-injury, dropping 5% each week that passes, and stopping at 10%, to be rolled each time the character engages in strenuous activity like running.
  • After 2 years without re-injury the probability goes to just 1%)
Moderate Cases
Details:

A dislocated shoulder is considered moderate when the joint and the socket fully separate but the ball stays aligned to the socket.

Duration: A three-quarters of a moon without movement, a three-quarters of a moon of light movement, (Minimum of) 3 moons of light duty.
Treatment:

CAUTION – Herbs for pain should be kept minimal. Over-treating the pain symptom can result in the cat being unaware of the damage they are causing themselves.

  • The shoulder must be forcibly returned to the socket. This is best done by having one cat retrain the torso of the patient while another pulls on the leg (it should be noted that incidental lacerations and puncture wounds are possible due to the amount of force needed and should be treated after the leg is set).
  • Restrict the patient to the Medicine Den with no movement for a minimum of a three-quarters of a moon.
  • Careful introduce light movement after the course of three-quarters of a moon. Overdoing things as this phase will result in the loose tendons failing to keep the joint in the socket and the shoulder separating again.
  • Return the patient to duty carefully, starting as lightly as possible and slowly upping the stress, returning the patient to lighter duty at any sign of strain or potential re-seperation.
Residual Effects:
  • Temporary lameness.
  • High probability of permanent lameness.
Complications:
  • High potential for repeat injury (85% probability for re-injury, dropping 5% each week that passes, and stopping at 10%, to be rolled each time the character engages in strenuous activity like running.
  • After 2 and 1/2 years without re-injury the probability goes to just 1%)
Severe Cases
Details:

A dislocated shoulder is considered severe when the joint and the socket completely separate and do not remain in alignment.

Duration: A moon without movement, A moon of light movement, (Minimum of) 4 moons of light duty.
Treatment:

CAUTION – Herbs for pain should be kept minimal. Over-treating the pain symptom can result in the cat being unaware of the damage they are causing themselves.

  • The shoulder must be forcibly returned to the socket. This is best done by having one cat retrain the torso of the patient while another pulls on the leg (it should be noted that incidental lacerations and puncture wounds are possible due to the amount of force needed and should be treated after the leg is set).
  • Restrict the patient to the Medicine Den with no movement for a minimum of a moon.
  • Careful introduce light movement after the course of a moon. Overdoing things as this phase will result in the loose tendons failing to keep the joint in the socket and the shoulder separating again.
  • Return the patient to duty carefully, starting as lightly as possible and slowly upping the stress, returning the patient to lighter duty at any sign of strain or potential re-seperation.
Residual Effects:
  • Temporary lameness.
  • Very high probability of permanent lameness.
Complications:
  • High potential for repeat injury (95% probability for re-injury, dropping 5% each week that passes, and stopping at 10%, to be rolled each time the character engages in strenuous activity like running.
  • After 3 years without re-injury the probability goes to just 1%)