Clear all

Closed Thread Coming to Terms

9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@kazul_3383)
Player Medicine Cat Player, Leader Player, Deputy Player
Topic starter  

A chocolate tabby face peered out of the medicine cat's den, the deep gashes on the tom's face only now starting to truly heal as the swelling had begun to go down. According to the medicine cat, Hickorystorm was lucky to survive the injuries to his head that the hawk had inflicted upon him. The scent of marigold, thyme and yarrow were always in his nostrils right now, as the medicine were chewed into a poultice and applied to the wounds routinely to keep them clean and attempt to keep infection from settling in. He was told he still had another half-moon in the den, at least, and he wouldn't be allowed to leave the medicine cat's den until his injuries started to heal over rather than weep openly.

Even as Hickorystorm was told all this and could smell all of what was being done to him, nothing had penetrated the darkness that surrounded him now. The medicine cat had been apologetic and gentle when she had shared with him and leader that the damage done to his eyes had ben beyond repair. That there was almost impossible for his eyes to heal from that kind of injury. That he would never see again. He was blind.

Being regularly dosed with poppy seed helped him to rest by deflecting the pain, but Hickorystorm disliked sleeping so much. He knew it was needed to recover and heal, but he was a warrior! He needed to be getting up to hear the patrols being sent out and what news was being brought back from said patrols. Patrols that he would never hear himself be sent out on again. Patrols he would never be included on again.

He would never be a mentor. He would never be a senior warrior. He couldn't even be a regular warrior anymore. He would have to join the elder's in their den, which would probably make him the youngest elder in the clan's history to have to move into that den.

Without his sight, he couldn't see enemies slinking through the undergrowth or see how they were moving to counter them in battle. He wouldn't be able to see what prey he stalked to know when the perfect time to pounce was. He wouldn't be able to tell an apprentice if they were doing any of the stalking correctly or if they were doing a battle move properly. 

That made his stomach clench hard and his heart ache so badly, Hickorystorm felt like tilting his head back and yowling his helplessness and frustration to the sky.

Day

Who

Whoever wants to join

What

Hickorystorm adjusts to having to heal and not having sight

Where

Medicine Cat's den and just outside of it

This topic was modified 7 months ago by Faux

Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player

Hollyclaw padded into camp, freshly back from a hunt. Her prize was a pair of lemmings and a sparrow. She quietly hoped that one of the lemmings would be left at the fresh-kill pile after everyone else had eaten.

The lemmings were secure in her jaws, but the sparrow was hanging by its little foot. Hollyclaw had made it this far with it like that, but it was finally about to slip. The bird fell to the ground after the warrior passed the nursery. It plopped down front of the medicine cat's den and, consequently, not too far from Hickorystorm.

The sight of her brother's face still tightened some part deep in the pit of her stomach, but that disquiet was drowned out by continued relief that his wounds were healing. Hollyclaw set the lemmings down.

"Hey," she meowed casually. She stopped herself from trying to examine his face. It wasn't as if she might notice something the medicine cat hadn't, especially from where she stood at the entrance. "Are you hungry?"

PCs:
Hollyclaw, Warrior of ShadowClan
Dawnflurry, Deputy of ShadowClan
Mistyleaf, Warrior of ThunderClan
Thornstrike, Warrior of RiverClan
Shadesleek, Warrior of WindClan
Morgan, Royal Scion of Camelot
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:
Hawkfeather, Elder of ShadowClan
Nettlesky, Warrior of RiverClan
Ceridwen, Princess of Camelot

ReplyQuote
(@kazul_3383)
Topic starter  

Nose and ears twitching, Hickorystorm both heard and smelled Hollyclaw approaching with freshkill in her jaws. There was a soft plop on thr ground as if something had been dropped nearby. As much as he didn't feel like eating, his stomach did give a soft growl so he leaned forward a little to sniff and see what had been dropped.

As he heard his sister mew to him, his ears lifted and he realized he must have looked hungry. Shifting his weight, feeling a little embarrassed at having been caught, he replied a little sheepishly. "A little, I guess, yeah." Maybe if he had some company, that might boost his appetite a little, but he didn't want to make his sister think she had to eat with him. "Wanna join me for a bite before your next assignment?"

ReplyQuote
Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player

"Nah, I'm fine. I'll eat later." Hollyclaw's response was as plain and effortless as breathing. She didn't even think about it, and she ignored that her stomach did. As nice as it would be to devour one of the lemmings, she would wait. The rest of the Clan came first.

"But I can rest for a bit and make sure you eat everything and such," she mewed warmly. Not even Hawkfeather would bother them over that. Food was important for healing. Hollyclaw rolled one of the lemmings closer to the sparrow. "I've got lemmings and a sparrow, or I could go sift through the fresh-kill pile."

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

ReplyQuote
(@kazul_3383)
Topic starter  

Hickorystorm tried not to show his disappointment when she said she'd eat later, but it was fleeting and he almost gave a purr when she said she could 'make sure he ate'. "Some company would be nice." The chocolate tabby tom admitted, almost sheepishly.

Company would be appreciated at the moment, if only to keep his dark thoughts away. Staying in the sick den, he saw the medicine cat every day as his wounds were checked and cleaned and medicines given. He did see Hawkfeather at least once a day as she checked on how her kit was healing, and both Dawnflurry and Palestar made sure to check up on him regularly.

"The sparrow that you just dropped smelled good." He admitted, trying to find the small body with his whiskers. He was quietly for a several long heartbeats before asking, uncharacteristically hesitant. "Hollyclaw? Are you ashamed of me for losing to that hawk? Do you think Hawkfeather is?" Another long moment. "Do you think the whole Clan is?"

ReplyQuote
Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player

Hollyclaw blinked. "What?" The surprise in her voice was genuine. Had she heard him right? This was her brother she was talking too, wasn't he?

"Ashamed of you?" she echoed sharply in disbelief. "For not dying? Of course I'm not! I can't believe you'd ask that!"

It was not with scorn or scolding that she spoke. Her voice was full with what she felt was some kind of righteous anger on his behalf, but it had been stronger than she intended. Tail flicking, she lowered her voice.

"Sorry, I mean... It's weird hearing that kind of talk from you," she told him honestly. Hollyclaw glanced over her shoulder to make sure no one was staring.

"You'd know if Hawkfeather was--and she's not," she added firmly. "If anyone knows what getting ambushed by a hawk is like, it's her..." Maybe that was rude, but it was true.

"You didn't break the code or betray anyone. You were doing your job. You lost your eyes. It doesn't mean you lost everything." Hollyclaw believed that whole-heartedly about Hickorystorm or any other Clanmate in his situation, but deep down, she would be terrified the same position and worried about the exact same thing.

"You're still alive and a member of this Clan," she meowed as if that one statement could stop everything else she felt. The chocolate tabby sat down and wrapped her tail around herself. 

"And," she went on quietly, "not that it makes up for you getting hurt, but the hunt wasn't a total loss either. We did bring back the hawk and those rabbits Dawnflurry and I caught."

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

ReplyQuote
(@kazul_3383)
Topic starter  

Hickorystorm's ears flattened for a moment at his sister's initial outburst. He was uncertain of how to interpret the surprise in Hollyclaw's tone without seeing her body language that went with it. Had she flattened her ears at him or fluffed up her fur? Was her tail twitching? If he still had his eyes, they would be looking avoiding looking at her, but as he no longer had them, it just seemed like he sat there patiently waiting for her to continue. 

He shifted his forepaws lightly as she mentioned how he was being weird but he couldn't deny the truth of her words. He felt weird anymore and it was with a bit of surprise at Hollyclaw's words that he remembered that Hawkfeather had been attacked by a hawk not long ago as well. The fact that she still believed in him, made him want to shy away from her but he didn't. He listened still and nodded, her whiskers giving the slightest twitch in satisfaction. At least the stupid hawk had paid for it's attack and fed the clan it had attacked.

"I just feel so useless now." The chocolate tabby tom replied softly, trying to sound casual although the tapping end of his tail betrayed the agitation he felt inside. He hated that feeling and as much as he hated it, he also hated admitting it aloud. "Before that hawk attack, I could do almost anything. I was bringing freshkill back almost every time I left camp. Now, it's like...... I still kinda have a mental image in my head at what the camp looks like, but I bump into so many things trying to make my way to the dirt place." He felt kinda sheepish at this last admission before becoming a tad bitter. "If I got battle scars, I had wanted to get them from fighting the other clans and showing how strong and brave I was. Instead, I got them from being surprised by a stupid hawk and now I get to be the youngest elder the clan ever knew. I don't...." His voice trailed away before he sighed and hung his head. "I'm an elder but I haven't even had the chance to earn the title and the right to be one."

ReplyQuote
Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player

Hollyclaw inhaled to say something, but the words failed to arrive. "I..." She sighed. What could she really say? And there was no sense in not speaking plainly with him. A terse exhale came from her nostrils and a sullen mumble burned from her throat. "I hate it."

Hollyclaw's tail lashed to her other side and she glanced away from him. "I don't--I can't--fully know how you're feeling," she continued, tail dragging across the ground again. "Not truly." She couldn't. She didn't want to. Ever. She knew the sentiment was awful, but it was the truth, and she buried it hot and alive in her chest.

"And I don't know what to say," she mewed lowly after she breathed. Hollyclaw stopped her tail from swishing again, but let it bat one last time against the ground before she brought it back to the tops of her forepaws.

"I want to remind you that you're not useless, and that there're other ways to contribute to the Clan. That 'elder' isn't a rank you have to earn, and that you can't possibly be the youngest elder in all of ShadowClan history--" Hollyclaw wanted to bop Hickorystorm in the ribs or headbutt his shoulder or something, as if any of that could get him out of this.

"But none of that changes what happened." She shifted and gave the end of her tail a quick lick. "And I'm not Dawnflurry. I can't give some speech about hope, and I hate that I don't know how to help you."

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

ReplyQuote
(@kazul_3383)
Topic starter  

Even though he turned his head as if he were looking at her, even if he couldn't actually see her, his mind's eye could and it soothed him to smell his sister nearby. His head lifted as he listened to Hollyclaw and his ears perked at her words. Perhaps he had been pitiful and feeling useless, but she was right. It didn't change what happened. He might be a young elder, but maybe if he did work at it, he could learn his way around again. Maybe he could either find new ways to help his clanmates or perhaps learn to do some tasks differently. 

After she had finished speaking, he sat quietly for several long moments before mewing. "Thanks Hollyclaw. You might not be Dawnflurry, but what you said really does help. And thanks for listening to me. I hate how this has changed me, but you're right and I can't pretend it didn't.

Twitching his whiskers, he felt for his sister's form and reached over to offer a lick of thanks and gratitude, even if it was a clumsy attempt and he felt a little uneasy doing so. He wanted to show his appreciation but he wasn't very good at showing affection. "I'm not dead yet! Maybe I can still make something of myself if I work at it." He gave a soft snort of self-deprecating humor. "Guess I should consider myself an apprentice again while I learn to do it all over, eh?"

ReplyQuote