Notifications
Clear all

Closed Thread [Closed] Chill That Bites Back (9FG20)

20 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Admin Applications Team, Leader Player, MCA Player
Topic starter  

Love is just a cloudy sky as far as I can see
{ } { } { } { } { }

Cloudflare made his way through the brush entering camp, the feel of high, chilled winds occasionally whistling and tussling his fur as the white and ginger tabby padded his way gingerly towards the Elder's den. Two well earned mice hung in his jaws from his hunt at Rockfield - whatever meager meat able to provide at least a meal for a couple of their Elders.

Yet the prey came at a cost, a minor one, mind, but the tomcat paid careful heed to how he held himself, masking the slight limp from the elders as he peered in with a mirthful grin that took everything he could muster.  It wasn't much, but it was all he could manage that afternoon. Every little bit of prey that could be caught would be savored by those who could enjoy their silver days.

Declining a longer visit, Cloudflare dipped out of the den and headed stiffly towards the medicine cat's den. The chill in the air had done a decent job in numbing the area on his paw as he walked over the damp ground from the thunderstorm the day prior; it didn't seem like it was bleeding anymore, but when he glanced at the wound before entering camp he noticed it start to swell. 

It was minor, but he wanted to make sure. It certainly wouldn't hurt for Rowanglade to take a look. When he entered the older she-cat's den, Cloudflare relaxed, calling out as he made his entrance. "Rowanglade? Are you busy?"

This topic was modified 2 years ago 13 times by Faux

FROM RIVERCLAN:

Cottonbright, ♀ Anxious Warrior
Nettlepaw, ♂ Cynical Medicine Cat's Apprentice
Merrykit, ♀ Contented Kit
Otterwhisker, ♀ Adventurous Elder

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Brindlepaw, ♀ Selfish Apprentice
Bravesong, ♂ Gracious Elder
Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

Cloudflare, ♂ Suave Warrior
Barleyswipe, ⚧ Ornery Elder

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader
Honeyglow, ♂ Reserved Elder
Murkkit, ♂ Opportunistic Kit

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Ahryndae, ♀ Princess of Camelot

Lelouch Von Noon, ♂ Marquess of Noon Cattery

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@kitsufox)
Admin Applications Team, Information Drive, Medicine Cat Player, Leader Player, Genealogy Team

Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

Rowanglade slide from the sick den next door to her own den, where Cloudflare was looking. "Just keeping things put together" Thankfully no one was actually using the sick den at the moment, and it was simply a matter of keeping down cobwebs and the worst of the dust that blew in. Thankfully the Lilacs the camp was built in provided good cover even when the leaves were only just growing in. She shook herself to make sure no cobwebs were caught in her whiskers before turning to the sturdy tomcat. "Can I help you with something?"

Kitsufox, CoSC Owner & Administrator

Ashpaw ♂ Apprentice of ShadowClan
Boldstar ♂ Leader of RiverClan
Prudence ♀ Wanderer of Whitehart
Rowanglade ♀ Medicine Cat of WindClan
Savagefox ⚥ Warrior of ThunderClan
Stormkit ♀ Kit of RiverClan
Uther ♂ The Once and Future King

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Topic starter  

{ } { } { } { } { }

He heard the she-cat before he saw her, the tussling of fur and soft padfalls of the medicine cat. Settling on his haunches, the solidly built tom fought back the various thoughts that were coursing through his head. He must have looked like something the wind dragged in and a part of him wished he could have gone through a quick grooming before meeting with her just so that he would look his best.

Cloudflare blinked respectfully as she entered from the sick room, his coppery eyes falling on her. 
In that moment, perhaps he appeared sheepish, or at least somewhat reluctant to bother the she-cat with such a trivial matter. It didn't seem that she was busy, perhaps she'd relish in a little diversion in seeing to his paw. Or maybe she'd chastise him for his clumsiness of digging into a mouse nest in Rockfield. He didn't wish to keep her waiting, and after a soft murr of reluctance, the tomcat leaned forward, taking a few steps forward to her side before lifting his front paw, extending his claws and turning the pad over to show her the mild abrasion.
It could have been worse.

If Cloudflare hadn't given his foot time to settle in the cold the swelling might have been worse. There was a small amount of blood, but it seemed to have closed due to his caution walking back. Still couldn't hurt to see what she had to say. "It's nothing - or rather, it may be nothing. I was hunting by the Rockfields - paw slipped when I was digging out a couple mice. What do you think?" Perhaps the she-cat would think him overreacting, but after his leg sprain in which he spent some time with Rowanglade in her den, Cloudflare was cautious of any injury. He found it prudent to be proactive, at least.

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Faux

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@kitsufox)
Admin Applications Team, Information Drive, Medicine Cat Player, Leader Player, Genealogy Team

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

"I'd rather see nothing than have it turn out to have needed treatment." The words came out of Rowanglade's mouth perhaps a bit harsher than intended. Warriors. Always so worried about not appearing weak.

The lean she-cat bent to examine the proffered injury. The scrap wasn't terrible, but it was no skin off her nose to take a look at it. Really, not even something for herbs at this point. The wound was closed and not particularly large, so that was to the positive. She straightened back up, blue eyes bright against her pale coat. "All it needs is to be kept clean and you'll be fine in a day or so. If it swells or gets pussy, then it'll take some real treatment. Won't even need time off duties unless it gets infected."

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Topic starter  

{ } { } { } { } { }

Cloudflare resisted the slight urge to flinch at the medicine cat's opinionated statement. Could have been the professionalism talking, or the care he's seen her perform time and time again with himself and his clanmates, but nevertheless he had a feeling her words were skin deep, much like his own wound. It would heal, as he suspected, and he would do his best to keep it clean - and the best part was that he didn't even need to take off his warrior duties! Take it easy during a patrol, perhaps, but at least he wouldn't have to be excluded. "You're right, of course. The tiniest thorn can become a big problem."

He inclined his head, slowly setting himself down, the offending paw stretched out as the tom dipped his head to lap once around the area. "Enough about me, then. How have you been doing, Rowanglade?"

This post was modified 2 years ago 3 times by Faux

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@kitsufox)

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

"Well enough, really. We're lucky that this weather hasn't brought out any spring colds. After this leaf-bare we deserve the reprieve." Rowanglade settled herself, tail around all her paws but one. The one, lightly mottled with pale orange and gray, came up for a quick swipe of the young and pass over her similarly marked ears. She was pleased that the young tom has taken the time to chat. Not everyone who came for her services was so inclined. Some could even be intimidated by her rank right into pure awkwardness. "How was your patrol?"

((Sorry this is so short. I'm definitely rusty and need to spend more time writing. Thank you for putting up with me while I get my skills back up where they should be.))

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Topic starter  

{ } { } { } { } { }

Cloudflare was the type of cat who enjoyed having a conversation. Most of the time he amused his desires, however, he was still prone to temporary stays of silence at times. Featherflight had done his best to bring the young tomcat out of his shell back when he was a wet earred apprentice, and Cloudflare was eternally grateful - it made him into a better warrior, and best to serve his clan.

Morale and good spirit was a gift, and it was even better than a healing balm in some cases. The ginger bi colored tabby spared her a catlike smile, ear tip twitching with interest as his eyes briefly swept over her well kept den. It was always amazing how orderly medicine cats kept them.

"Starclan willing. The last thing we need is another heavy frost. More cats in your sick den…" The tremor of his rich voice seemed to recede in thought as the image of his dame came to mind. His solemn look was elevated as she inquired about his patrol.

"Nothing out of the ordinary, but its always a pleasure to see the moorland bud and start to green. Hear the birds in the trees. Feel the wind brush through your fur and hear it move through the willow trees." Cloudflare purred to himself in thought, imagining a hole filled with a newly birthed family of vole, knowing that they would grow larger and fatter soon with New Leaf. Then he got an idea, and he blinked up at her, allowing another lazy swipe of his tongue to catch his paw.

"New Leaf brings many blessings. If you ever want to gather ingredients outside of camp, and you wouldn't mind some company, I'd love to join you if my duties permit.

((OOC: Looked up some new leaf herb guides. Seems willow and celandine are in season, lol.))

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@kitsufox)

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

With an affirmative flick of her ear, Rowanglade settled her lifted paw. "There will be plenty of opportunities for that, Cloudflare. Soon enough everything will be in bloom and I'll be up to my eyes in herb preparation." Excitement reached her eyes. The though of being able to go through her stores, ensure she had everything she wanted... That was a joyful thought after such a hard year. Soon enough everyone would be well enough that it would be back to the normal border squabbles and hissing matches over wear things got marked. It would be a good taste of normality. Like a fat pigeon. "It's early in the season for much to be ready, though I'll need fresh willow bark soon enough. Maybe I'll have a chat with our fearless leader about it." Yes. A gathering outing was due soon enough. Her supply of oak bark could do with a refresh, too. being a Medicine Cat left little time for just sitting around. Though it was nice to take a moment to just chat with her clanmates sometimes.

((Pro-tip: On the clan pages there's a herb guide by what's in season when within that clan territory.))

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Topic starter  

{ } { } { } { } { }

Being a medicine cat was one of great respect and privilege. Cloudflare remembered as a kit his interest in the natural world, a desire to get out and explore and inspect everything that moved. Perhaps in another life he could have been a medicine cat, and there was no shortage of interest when he was small, but his path was guided in another direction. "Late New Leaf is my favorite time of year; blossoms, buds. I don't even mind the rain much!" Unless one got caught on patrol in a rainstorm, little could dampen his mood if it involved going outside of camp. Patrolling and hunting were some of his favorite past times. Sharing tongues in the sun after a hard days work came a close second. It was satisfying to know one has given their all. 

"You should hear on the moors, the tiny chirps of newborn vole. I have high hopes that the fields will be quickly overrun with prey soon enough. Next time I'm out hunting, I'll be sure to bring one back for you - as thanks." The tip of his tail flopped over, back and forth as he paused to regard her excitement as his maw slipped out a question. "Does being a medicine cat ever seem a bit lonely?" Other than the obvious rule of paw of being a medicine cat, it wouldn't stop him from treating her like any other feline.

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@kitsufox)

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

"I tend to mind the rain. Makes drying herbs impossible." There was a purr with the she-cat's comment, trying to soften her disagreement with the spring sentiment. Then she listened to Cloudflare wax poetic about the moors. As if she didn't live in the same camp and spend massive amounts of her own time out hunting plants. Sure, she didn't patrol the borders like most, but she did know the best places to find what she needed. Then the tom jumped quickly to personal questions.

"Why would it be lonely? I almost always have company of some kind, be they visitors or patients."

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Topic starter  

{ } { } { } { } { }

When she mentioned the difficulty of drying herbs in the rain, Cloudflare could have reprimanded himself. Of course she'd dislike the rain for that reason. Just add new leaf drizzles to a list of things that would dampen a medicine cat's mood. "Of course. That makes sense." There you go again, Cloudflare... A memory of Mistystep's scent washed over him, momentarily souring his smile, but it didn't last. The weight wasn't in his voice when he spoke, trying to appear casual as he shrugged his shoulders. 

"Coming and going of visitors and patients, yeah, but I mean an apprentice. It would be nice to be considered for mentoring. I could teach my apprentice to glide on top of the snow to catch those pesky hares." With a nostalgic, wry purr, the tom continued, "Sorry if that seemed too strong a question, Rowanglade. I was just curious. 

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@kitsufox)

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

The tip of her tail twitched slightly, thoughtfulness entered her mind. "It wasn't too strong. I wasn't just picked for this life, I was meant for it." She returned the purr with a friendly note, then turned the questioning back on her companion.

"Crossing your paws that the Leader will need a new senior warrior, soon?" She kept her voice laced with humor and her eyes soft. She'd be crossing her paws that the next litter had a likely candidate for her own apprentice. Rowanglade knew she would get first look at the next kits as they came up. If one was especially promising she'd try and get training started early. She'd already wasted too much time just being a medicine cat instead of also being a mentor.

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Topic starter  

{ } { } { } { } { }

Cloudflare's mind was caught up in the possibility. He supposed that would put him into consideration for being a senior warrior, one their leader trusted enough to guide another cat to best serve the clan. His own personal growth hadn't been all fat sparrows and sunshine, but he believed he turned out for the better. It would be doing his mentor an honor of passing down what he had learned, and if their leader believed in his abilities, then he'd only need to believe in himself. Generally an easy enough feat. 

"It would be an honor." The ginger and white tom mewed simply, sincerity entering his voice as he contemplated what that would mean. He knew Featherflight would have meant the same. "For now I'll do my best to impress."

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@kitsufox)

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

Standing and stretching briefly, Rowanglade turned to her guest. "Ones best is the most you can be asked for." Her voice was full of honesty and understanding. She didn't give voice to the thoughts she had in her head, about how not every warrior managed to become part of the leaders inner circle. How getting an apprentice wasn't something that a cat was guaranteed. But Cloudflare was still young and full of hope, perhaps a year out of the apprentice's den. "You should rest that foot if you have time tonight, and it'll make sure it doesn't open back up on you. Did you pull any patrols for tonight, yet?"

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Topic starter  

{ } { } { } { } { }

One's best. Her words repeated in his head like the tiny buzz of a fly. The tom's back leg lifted, angling to swipe at the base of of ear as to give it a good scratch, careful not to put too much of his solid weight onto his tender paw. With a little relaxation he should be able to sleep on it and be fine sunhigh. Copper eyes blinked across at the older she-cat, who, in all honesty was quite patient with him. He appreciated that. 

"No moonhigh patrol, not me. Just dawn patrol from today. A good nights rest will help in any case."  He rose to his paws, giving marbled pelt a shake or two before he blinked a warm gaze towards her, a wry cock of his head. "What about you, Rowanglade? Any plans for tonight?"

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@kitsufox)

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

She looked out the entrance of the den into the overcast and muddy camp. Yesterday's thunderstorm has given everything a through soaking that even camp hadn't recovered from yet. At least Cloudflare's aggressive politeness was refreshing. It was nice to not be treated like a venerable old medicine cat all the time, unable to be simply chatted with because she might be too busy to make the time. "That's excellent luck. I have no major plans beyond puttering around here and being ready for the next stretch of sunshine. I need to get out and about soon."

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Topic starter  

{ } { } { } { } { }

"It would have been nice to have been considered for sunhigh patrol, but I kept myself busy with a little hunting. Accidents happen, I just wish I hadn't been so careless. Didn't help that everything was still damp and slippery from yesterday." The thunderstorm had drenched everything theroughly, and the ground was still soggy, moisture puddling in the soft divets of the earth everywhere he stepped - or laid down. Needless to say, lounging in the middle of camp wasn't an option at the moment, but maybe he'd check in with the warriors who were still in camp. Peer into the fresh kill pile... debate whether or not to have a mouse or squirrel. 

"Sunny days. Best to take a stroll, find some herbs - and eventually prepare and dry them. Sounds like a plan." He nodded to himself, tongue zagging along a paw and rubbing the base of a ginger colored ear. "Starclan, it was nice to catch up without having an emergency. I should do so more often. Did you want me to grab you something from the fresh kill pile?" An offer that was paired with a soft purr, more of a thoughtful gesture if she was planning on being in her den for an extended amount of time.

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@kitsufox)

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

"You're a glutton for punishment if you want to pull two patrols today. There's plenty of cats to spread the work amongst." At least, there was for warriors. Then he launched into his friendly exit strategy. He really was a polite young cat, Cloudflare was. "It's always nice to have someone to chat with between tasks. I'll pass on the food. I've eaten already today. No need to cut into what you put your toes in danger for." The words were colored with an upbeat purr to take the bite out of them. No need to knock his pride when he was trying to be kind, after all. Rowanglade stood and stretched, tip of her tail kinking with the effort of it. She really should go through the spring herbs, so she knew what to gather as soon as the weather let up.

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Topic starter  

Cloud walking my way to you
{ } { } { } { } { }

There was humor in his eyes as they met with the older she-cat. He could laugh about it now, his toes weren't in any danger. He'd make sure to keep his paw dry and clean, avoid any unnecessary rocks under paw. He could proudly shoulder the teasing from her as the medicine cat if that meant he could relax his guard in her presence.

It was mainly saving face towards the rest of his clan, especially if he really took Rowanglade's observation to heart. He was young, perhaps, but that didn't mean he'd give any less than his best. "It was a small price to pay." 

His tucked paws lifted him into a pliable stance and echoed Rowanglade, shifting forward in a cat like stretch as he felt the contours of his frame loosen. Maybe he'd see what his fellow warriors were up to, play off his afternoon with some banter and relax around camp. Cloudflare was a bit hungry himself, so maybe he'd tuck into something small to stave his appetite. 

"Well, I'll leave you to it then, Rowanglade. Enjoy yourself. I see you around." It was then the stocky tom, with one last glance over his shoulder, padded out of her den, careful to avoid any measurable puddle as he made his way to the other side of camp and ducked his head into the warrior's den.

This post was modified 2 years ago 4 times by Faux

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@kitsufox)

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

"Take care, Cloudflare." Rowanglade watched the retreating back only for a moment before her mind had moved on from her unintentional rhyme and into her herb storage. She slide quietly into the back of the medicine den, where her stock and supplies awaited her attention.

((Thread from beginning to end in only a few days, not bad! Looking forward to the next one we can think up.))