Closed Thread [Closed] Something New (12FF20) - semi-private

15 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player
Topic starter  
The sunshine soaking into Mistyleaf's long fur tempered her anxiety with its warmth. Being away from camp and out in the forest was working. As she led Dovepaw around, Mistyleaf tried to remember her early days as an apprentice. Touring the territory was a traditional first activity. How else could one learn what one was to protect if one never experienced it? At least that much she remembered.

The silver torbie had chosen to take them to the Sandy Hollow first, then along the Thunderpath bordering ShadowClan's territory and Snakerocks, followed by the Twolegplace border. Mistyleaf wanted to work their way inwards and finish the tour with Fourtrees. They had passed the Treecut Place and were almost near the RiverClan border.

"So," Mistyleaf mewed as she came to a stop under the trees, "what do you think?"
Day

Who

Mistyleaf, Dovepaw, maybe others

What

First day stuff, after the apprentice ceremony

Where

Southforest, between Twolegplace and Sunningrocks and closer to the RiverClan border

PCs:
Hollyclaw, Warrior of ShadowClan
Dawnflurry, Deputy of ShadowClan
Mistyleaf, Warrior of ThunderClan
Thornstrike, Warrior of RiverClan
Shadesleek, Warrior of WindClan
Morgan, Royal Scion of Camelot
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:
Hawkfeather, Elder of ShadowClan
Nettlesky, Warrior of RiverClan
Ceridwen, Princess of Camelot

Topic Tags
(@kazul_3383)
Player Medicine Cat Player, Leader Player, Deputy Player

Dovepaw tried not to pant as she came up behind Mistyleaf and managed not to flop down as she made the best of the rest period her mentor was giving her. Her still kit-length legs burned with fatigue and she tried not to let it show that the mottled new apprentice was feeling a tad overwhelmed at what was being asked of her. She had been a kit this morning and now she was an apprentice and being shown the territory. Dovepaw knew all apprentices had to take the tour- they had to know the boundaries of Thunderclan after all! But Starclan, was that territory big and her legs short!

"It's big." She puffed, though her breathing was already starting to even out and she wasn't about to admit she was any troubles keeping up. "I didn't know Thunderclan was so big." She had tried to soak up all the info her mentor was giving her- tried to remember the scents, the locations, the borders, everything she had been shown so far. Dovepaw didn't know how much she had taken in though, and she hoped that all the warriors would be willing to help her until she knew what from where. 

Green eyes looked around, curious and eager but with a little trepidation. Mistyleaf seemed like she was starting to feel better after being announced as a mentor, but Dovepaw had seen how anxious the older she-cat had been initially. Grey and cream ears twitched uncertainly and there was a shadow of unease in her green gaze before the apprentice raised her gaze to lock with Mistyleaf's.

Taking a deep breath, she decided she was just going to plunge into the question that had been nagging at her. "If I ask a question, will you be honest with me?" The apprentice waited another long moment, ears turned towards the warrior before she continued, not wanting to loose her nerve, all but blurting out. "Did you really want to be my mentor?"

Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player
Topic starter  
"Mhm," Mistyleaf agreed when Dovepaw remarked upon the size of the territory. "But we have many mouths to feed, so we use of all of it."

She noticed the apprentice's panting and had tried to keep Dovepaw's exertion in mind during the tour. When they first left camp, Mistyleaf had forgotten how much longer her stride was compared to Dovepaw's. Even though she had remembered quickly, had her pace still been too fast?

To Mistyleaf, the pace she'd set was rather slow, but steady and purposeful enough to not look too languid. It was a step above a leisurely stroll and an easy way to save stamina. Around the Twoleg Trees, Mistyleaf had tried to slow their pace little by little, but now she wondered if she should have spent longer waiting along the ShadowClan border and other places as she described the territory's features.

She knew their levels of endurance were different, but she thought Dovepaw would've spoken up if it was too much. Mistyleaf would be the first to admit that she hadn't interacted a lot with her apprentice's litter, but Dovepaw usually spoke her mind right away, didn't she?

'If I ask a question, will you be honest with me?'

Mistyleaf's tufted ears attentively pointed toward the blue tortie and she looked down expectantly at her and their eyes met. Mistyleaf braced herself.

'Did you really want to be my mentor?'

One of her ears turned more away than the other, and Mistyleaf's tail curled to the side in a long feathery arc.

"Ah..." she responded. Her hazel eyes closed as she exhaled in a way that ended with a short, quiet breath of a laugh. It was more from relief than worry. She opened her eyes again.

"I wondered how long it would be until you asked that," the silver torbie admitted, glancing at the treetops and the sky before meeting Dovepaw's gaze again. "I thought we might reach Fourtrees first." Mistyleaf still felt a little contrite, but she also felt resolved and let it show on her face.

"I will be honest you," Mistyleaf told Dovepaw solemnly. She owed her that much. The warrior paused and briefly looked around them to confirm that they were alone. She lowered her voice. "And if we could keep this between ourselves, I would appreciate it very much."

Her tail flowed to her other side as she considered her words. "So, first, that question... Erm, how do I put it? It isn't the right one to ask. It's missing context." Mistyleaf sat down and swept her tail around her paws.

"My... hesitation and failure to hide it well enough--" Mistyleaf's tail flicked back to lay behind her, "--that wasn't about being your mentor specifically... It would've been the same with any of you," she explained, looking away for a bit.

Best get on with it, she thought.

"I... didn't expect to called at all. Becoming a mentor has been the absolute farthest thing from my mind, so when Moosestar made me yours..." The silver torbie sighed lightly and her tail started swishing from side to side across the ground.

"It's not that I didn't want to be your mentor," Mistyleaf continued. "I didn't want to be a mentor at all." She was only a second year warrior after all. "Well, at least not yet," she clarified quickly, making eye contact again, "not in that moment. It was all just so sudden."

Mistyleaf breathed deeply. "But I am your mentor now," she mewed with gentle decisiveness, "and I would continue to be so, if you're alright with that."

Please be alright with that, she beseeched Dovepaw in thought. It was true that mentors could be replaced, but on the first day? Mistyleaf didn't want to be so disappointing.

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

(@kazul_3383)

"I asked for honesty, it's only respectful that I don't breath a word of it." Dovepaw vowed softly as she watched her mentor look around to make sure they were alone. Mistyleaf's tail twitched and swished as she spoke and Dovepaw watched it thoughtfully as she listened to the older she-cat.

When Mistyleaf admitted how she had felt initially at being made an apprentice, the blue-cream apprentice relaxed visibly. Honestly, she thought maybe it was because Mistyleaf had hoped for one of her siblings instead of her.

"The elders have served their time and are old, except for Bravesong. But you seem like you're still really young. Not a senior warrior." Her tone wasn't disrespectful, merely matter-of-fact. Funny enough, with as much energy as she always seemed to have, Dovepaw was pleased with how focused she was able to stay and how still she was able to sit. Her tail twitched slightly before curling around her paws.

Green eyes looked at the torbie thoughtfully before she spoke up. "With how surprised you looked when he called you to be my mentor, it made me think Moosestar hadn't actually talked to you about being a mentor first. Isn't that normally what a leader does is ask if a cat feels reafy to be a mentor?"

Again, she lapsed into quiet as she thought of what else to say to her mentor- the surprised, young mentor who didn't feel like one or that she was ready for one.

"If you want, we don't have to be mentor and apprentice." She spoke slowly, carefully, wanting to offer a compromise that might help Mistyleaf get over what Dovepaw saw as being overwhlemed. "Maybe think of me as a sibling? Or a friend? Someone you want to the territory to, show off hunting moves and prey caught to, to pal around at Gatherings with, but not necessarily teach? I like being shown things. I like trying things out myself. But I might need to ask questions sometimes to make sure I do things right. And some advice on how to improve things you show me might be nice."

Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player
Topic starter  
Mistyleaf nodded after Dovepaw commented on the secrecy.

"I think elders like Bravesong are special cases, and senior warriors aren't always mentors, but you're right," the warrior mewed. "I am quite young. Moosestar's new to this too though, I suppose."

Except Moosestar had been a mentor before and he was a leader. They were in completely different positions. "He might just see something I do not." She shrugged lightly. "I always thought informing that mentors prior to appointing them was only a courtesy, but I could be wrong."

'If you want, we don't have to be mentor and apprentice. Maybe think of me as a sibling? Or a friend? Someone you want to the territory to, show off hunting moves and prey caught to, to pal around at Gatherings with, but not necessarily teach.'

That idea gave Mistyleaf pause. "Hmmm... I could," she agreed about the possibility, "but I'll still have to teach you properly. There're evaluations to pass before you can even dream of seeing Highstones, so I can't let you slack off."

She hadn't really thought about Highstones earlier. Getting to go there again, now that was motivating. Oh, how she wanted to return!

But that cannot be my motivation, Mistyleaf hastily reminded herself. It was an extra privilege that they both had to earn it first. That was the right mindset, wasn't it? She felt like she was wrestling with a giant fish.

"You absolutely should ask questions," she encouraged Dovepaw and nodded. "I promise I'll do my best to answer them." Mistyleaf would not be like her mother, constantly exhausted by queries.

Mistyleaf's tail swished faster as she thought aloud and she stared up at the sky as she spoke. "We can't be too lax, but that doesn't mean we can't get creative. As long as you learn what you need to learn and you learn it on time, I don't expect them to question the methods."

And I can ask Bravesong if I need help, she thought. He'd be glad to offer advice, wouldn't he? Especially for his own kin? She hoped it wouldn't dredge up any disheartenment...

Mistyleaf's tail gave one last full swish as she refocused on the blue and cream apprentice. "I believe we can make this work," she meowed confidently and rose to her paws.

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

(@kazul_3383)

"Even if we're not necessarily mentor and apprentice, as long as I am still able to get my training complete, I honestly don't care how we go about it." Dovepaw replied, perking as Mistyleaf's tail became animated and almost excited and she looked up at the sky. "But I will ask questions if I have them."

She glanced up at the sky as well, tail uncurling from her paws to wave gently above her back. Her green eyes remained thoughtful before she looked back at her mentor. "Well, even if you're new to this, and I'm still pitifully lacking from only being a kit until just earlier today, I'm glad I have you for a mentor. Already, you're willing to listen and speak with me on my troubles and concerns. This experience is new to both of us, but you're willing to work with me so we can make this work."

"To be honest, I think having Moosestar for a mentor would have been kind of intimidating. He might be a new leader and all, but just being a leader's apprentice would have to be a bit nerve-wracking. You'd have to always mind your whiskers being a leader's apprentice. A lot of pressure." Her fur fluffed out slightly and she shivered as she thought of who her other options had been. Shaking herself, Dovepaw reached down to smooth her chest fur. "And I don't think I would have done well if Wrentalon had been my mentor. No offense to him, but he's younger than you and, if I'm honestly, he.... gets my tail in a bit of a kink. From what I've seen around camp, he's a bit full of himself and not exactly the friendliest. I don't think we would have clicked very well.

Her ears twitched as she fell silent, listening to the birds singing on either side of them and, despite their conversation, the mottled apprentice could scent squirrels and mice around them. Her stomach was growling quietly and she realized that her breakfast seemed so far away. But their talk was currently more important to her so she ignored the empty feeling in her belly for the time being.

Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player
Topic starter  
We'd still be mentor and apprentice, Mistyleaf thought correctively, but she just nodded attentively as Dovepaw continued. Warmth glowed in her chest when Dovepaw said she was glad that Mistyleaf was her mentor. Now they really had to make this work!

As for Tigerrush's brother, Mistyleaf didn't have much to add to Dovepaw's observations. "Yes, Wrentalon's..." How could she put it nicely? Could she put it nicely? He was... driven?

She remembered how very focused he was on battle training as an apprentice and later how he claimed to have fought a ShadowClan cat. "He's Wrentalon," she mewed bluntly and switched subjects.

"I wouldn't've wanted to be a leader's apprentice either," the silver torbie concurred. She paused to scratch her ear. "I'm not sure they would've wanted me to begin with."

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

(@kazul_3383)

Dovepaw felt like things would be alright between them now. That they had managed to smooth over this rough patch that they had just come across. At least she didn't get scolded for what she said about Wrentalon. After all, he was a warrior and he was Tigerrush's brother. However, when she heard Mistyleaf's comment about being the leader's apprentice, she tilted her head. "Were you a difficult apprentice?" She mewed curiously, not quite able to believe it. "Or did you not get along with your mentor?"

Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player
Topic starter  
"We got along," mewed Mistyleaf, "but perhaps I was difficult?" Her tail slowly swished once more as she thought of how to put it.

"I've always had questions," she explained. "Even as a kit, I wanted to know everything about everything and to consider things from all perspectives when possible." Mistyleaf could still hear her mother telling her that not everything needed to be complicated and that some things--a lot of things--simply were as they were.

"Once I was an apprentice, my mentor thought it distracted me from training earnestly." She remembered the back-and-forths they'd had over all sorts of things. "It was true in some regards," the silver torbie confessed lightly. "So I think that if I had been a leader's apprentice, I likely would've been in more trouble."

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

(@kazul_3383)

Dovepaw's own tail twitched lightly as she listened to her mentor explain what she thought she was like as an apprentice. She opened her mouth to say something when her belly gave a loud growl and the mottled apprentice flattened her ears in embarrassment. "I know you were wanting to show me the territory, but since we aren't on a hunting patrol, can we maybe catch something to eat quick before we continue on?" She shifted her forepaws sheepishly, but her tone was hopeful. "Breakfast seems a long time ago and then I'll have more energy to help me keep up to finish the tour of the territory." Her ears and nose could still pick up the sounds and scents of prey animals around them.

Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player
Topic starter  
"Oh, hungrier than I realized," Mistyleaf purred as she tried not to chuckle.

When Dovepaw asked if they could catch and eat before the rest of the tour, she tilted her head as she thought of how to best explain her answer.

"Well, yes but actually no." Her tail gave another swish as she shifted to stand taller. "Could we, in the sense of being physically able to? Yes. In the sense that Clan ways permit it? No." Her hazel eyes focused completely on Dovepaw.

"Part of the warrior code is:
'Food first shall go to Clan members in need,
Then may a warrior who's hunted then feed.'"

Mistyleaf paused to let the words sink in before she continued. "That includes warriors-in-training, even if they've just received their apprentice names," she specified. "So, we're not allowed to eat outside of camp like this. There's more to it of course, but that's the short answer.

"However," she mewed encouragingly, "we can aim to catch prey, bring it back to camp, and then, after checking that the elders and others have been fed, we may eat."

Going back without a catch was also an option, but Mistyleaf left it unspoken. Hunting would be a nice change of pace from walking.

"Where would you like to start?" she asked Dovepaw. They could probably find prey anywhere around, but Mistyleaf thought it would be more fun letting the apprentice choose.

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

(@kazul_3383)

Dovepaw swear she had heard from other patrols that you couldn't eat on hunting patrols but if you did border patrols you could. With her anxiety about her mentor not being sorry for having her as an apprentice having been quelled, the next item on her list was to fill her belly. With it being empty, it made temper a bit thin. When she heard Mistyleaf's words, the mottled apprentice gave an exasperated sigh and laid her ears back, barely managed to bite back a growl. 

"Fine. Whatever. If we're not going to eat, then let's just finish the tour. Or if you still think we should hunt instead, fine. Either way, let's get it over. How many pieces of prey do you think will be enough?"

Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player
Topic starter  
Mistyleaf's tail flicked and she gave Dovepaw a quizzical look. She knew the apprentice's
moods tended to shift, but she had never been the recipient of it. Perhaps mentorship wouldn't go as smoothly as she'd hoped but a moment ago... "Hmm," the silver torbie murmured, studying Dovepaw's face. Her tail curled to one side.

"Well," she mewed calmly, "if you're upset, I'm not sure you'll get as much as you should out of the tour." Her tail curled to the other side as she continued her contemplation. "But your attitude could influence your hunting for the worse..."

Mistyleaf's tone remained even, as if she was just deciding which direction would be the best to walk in, not as if she was trying to solve whatever Dovepaw's problem was... whatever that was.

The warrior's tail swept the ground as it came to a brief rest behind her. "To answer your question," she meowed, turning away from Dovepaw, "there's not really a minimum amount. You just bring back what you can, assuming you succeed in your attempts."

Mistyleaf started scenting the air, focusing in the direction of the river. After a moment, she turned back to Dovepaw. "I propose we head to Sunningrocks, if you do not yet wish to return to camp."

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

(@kazul_3383)

"I'm not exactly upset. I'm just hungry." Dovepaw grumbled and heaved herself to her feet. She was still getting tired but now that she had been able to catch her breath and rest for a short time, she was ready to continue on. Taking a moment to stretch her legs and back to limber back up, she decided to see what her mentor thought of the area they were getting ready to head. "If you think it best to start hunting at Sunningrocks, that's fine. Is that a good place to hunt? I know the elders like to sun themselves there, but what kind of prey should we expect to find there?"

Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player
Topic starter  

"Yes, they do quite like to," Mistyleaf mewed about elders sunning themselves. "Of course, it's not only elders who enjoy it. Mice and voles are often there amongst the rocks, and this sort of weather can yield good hunting." She was glad Dovepaw did want to continue the tour. If they did catch anything, they could drop it off at camp too.

"The Stream Clearing might be promising as well," she added. If nothing else, the water would be nice.

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs: