Clear all

Closed Thread [Closed] A Break in the Heat

9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@kazul_3383)
Player Medicine Cat Player, Leader Player, Deputy Player
Topic starter  

Brightmaple sat with her nose facing into the breeze, sniffing lightly at the familiar and comforting scents brought in upon it. The sun was out and shining brightly but thankfully with the help from the wind, the day didn't seem like it was going to get too terrible hot. The humidity seemed to have retreated for the time being and for that, the older she-cat was grateful. It meant that the stiffness she had been feeling lately had eased up and she had made her way from her nest in the elders' den to find a spot in camp to sun herself and watch the day-to-day life of the clan.

Patrols were no doubt out on thge hunt for prey that would no doubt be roaming a bit more freely from their dens in the break from the hot weather and she actually hoped one would return soon so she could grab something to silence the rumbling of her empty belly. She supposed if she really wanted to, she could go hunting herself but while she felt better than the previous few days, she was annoyed by the fact she still hadn't quite shaken the ache from her bones from the humidity and dampness days prior.

Brightmaple grudgingly admitted that while she wasn't the oldest elder in the den, she wasn't a youngster anymore. Even though she longed to keep up with warrior duties, she realistically knew she would be unable to do so satisfactorily anymore. So despite the restlessness she felt, she waited and watched the camp. Maybe Fawnbriar would have time to come by to share a bite with her or an apprentice might scamper with a tasty tidbit for a story- there were no kits in the clan at the moment after all.

Shut up stomach! You need to be patient just like I am being!

Day

Who

Brightmaple and whoever

What

Socialization!

This topic was modified 1 month ago by Faux

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Admin Applications Team, Leader Player, MCA Player

If ignorance is bliss, you must be the happiest cat on the planet
✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ❦ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

Barleysipes angular form punctuated by strings of their long pelt seemed to move awkwardly as they peddled herself in camp. They bit their tongue as they watched apprentices scamper, knowing that any moment they may demand someone to hunt something fresh for their stomach. Graciously sparing any apprentice's face from the fear of a elderly cat creeping up on them, they ended up stopping Cloudflare out of desperation, fortunate that he was heading out to hunt.

The elders deserved some hot grub, and Barleyswipe's uneven coat sparked indignantly, even if it was more or less smoothed over by Cloudflare's hasty promise and retreat out of camp.

Barleyswipe would be amiss if they didn't spot her denmate enjoying the day. Brightmaple was an amiable one for sure, anything less would definitely cause some bumping of heads. Approaching the other elder, Barleyswipe curled their long tail over their back paws as they sat about a fox length away, nodding out towards the direction Cloudflare left.

"Nothing fresh in the pile, I made sure to let those hot-footed mousebrains know to pick something up for us. Hopefully they return before we expire." Before turning their level gaze on the she-cat, a half tooth decorating a cat grin. "Any aches this morning, Brightmaple?"

FROM RIVERCLAN:

Cottonbright, ♀ Anxious Warrior
Nettlepaw, ♂ Cynical Medicine Cat's Apprentice
Merrykit, ♀ Contented Kit
Otterwhisker, ♀ Adventurous Elder

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Brindlepaw, ♀ Selfish Apprentice
Bravesong, ♂ Gracious Elder
Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

Cloudflare, ♂ Suave Warrior
Barleyswipe, ⚧ Ornery Elder

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader
Honeyglow, ♂ Reserved Elder
Murkkit, ♂ Opportunistic Kit

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Ahryndae, ♀ Princess of Camelot

Lelouch Von Noon, ♂ Marquess of Noon Cattery

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@kazul_3383)
Topic starter  

Brightmaple's honey gold eyes noted one of her companions emerging from the elders' den not long after her. It was Barleyswipe and apparently they had less patience than she did, for the other elder stopped one of the young warriors- Cloudflare it looked like- and had a word with him. Cloudflare appeared hasty in their retreat out of camp and the torbie watched in amusement as Barleyswipe made their way towards her.

"I do hope you weren't too harsh with Cloudflare, Barleyswipe dear." Brightmaple gave voice to her amusement with a purr. "I was willing to wait a little yet to see if there was already a patrol out. I didn't see Fawnbriar and thought she might be leading one." There was pride in her voice as one thing in particular Brightmaple was proud of and that was her kits.

Brightmaple stretched from her sitting position and pulled her legs under her in a contented loaf. "Thankfully as the weather has cooled and the wind blown, it appears to have taken the smell of rain and the ache in my shoulders with it. It's actually comfortable to lay in the sun this morning. How are you feeling today?"

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ❦ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

The apricot hued cat flicked an ear towards her initial amusement, her purr causing a pleased grunt to escape them. "Even if I was, he can handle it." Partially knowing how harsh his own dam was to him, Barleyswipe expected as much. While Barleyswipe was more than eager to continue this line of thinking and berate Emberback's child some more, they were distracted by Brightmaple's admiration for her own.

They tucked their head, just a fraction, not sure if they enjoyed her tone or seemed a bit envious, but either way wasn't going to let her comment slip by.

" Fawnbriar turned out to be a good one. Takes after her dam, after all. Shame we weren't a bit younger - we could take over the whole forest!" They pitched back a yawn after a gurgle cleared the phlegm from their throat, still perhaps a bit groggy from their sleep.

"I'm feeling about the same. Sniffles gone - I can actually smell again. Maybe once we're fed we can go on a little walk about the territory and I can get a good smell of things."

This post was modified 2 months ago by Faux

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@kazul_3383)
Topic starter  

If Brightmaple hadn't been beaming with pride before, she absolutely glowed with it at Barelyswipe's words. Her golden eyes closed in pleasure and her purr grew a little louder. "Well, I'm not dead yet." She replied in amusement before opening her eyes to glance up mischievously at her companion. "Even if I don't move like I used to, I can still keep cats on their toes as well as you. Though it's not as fun without some impressionable kits to teach and to dote upon us."

She sighed wistfully, missing the antics of the tiny, young cats and how eager they were to hear stories or learn some pouncing techniques. Even if you did occasionally trip over them or they led surprise attacks against you or got themselves into trouble because they didn't think something all the way through. "Did you ever have a litter of kits, Barleyswipe?" She asked curiously, honestly not able to remember if the other cat had.

Her folded ears perked at the suggestion and Brightmaple's eyes glowed in anticipation. "Oh yes, a nice walk out of camp after something to eat sounds marvelous! It has been a few fair days since I last even felt up to leaving the camp!"

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ❦ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

As much as Barleyswipe seemed to enjoy the idea of being surrounded on all sides by a pestering of ideal kits, there was something oddly endearing about the thought. While they usually may have been annoyed at being bothered by them, their heads were stuffed with mouse fluff - nonsense and whimsy. They weren't yet poisoned by doubt, and their eyes brimmed with hope. It warmed the old cat, and found themselves shifting back and forth on their paws in thought.

"Kits are impressionable, huh? I'm not one to turn them away to a good story - and they do seem to view us as the ever wise creatures we are, so, I suspect having a batch of kits around would be... good." They mewed, simply as that. Of course kits were good for the clan to keep their numbers strong, but it brought with it some pep, and they could certainly use that.

An ear flicked over to her at her question, brow lifting before a cat like laugh escaped them. "Oh, no... No, I haven't." They tried to hold the echo of bitterness from their voice, and in doing so, couldn't help but think of other cats. Hopefulness had worn its luster, and Barleyswipe had more of less given up in that aspect of their life. Nothing meaningful to give to their clan, and it wasn't like any she-cat would want to, not with them.

When Barleyswipe looked up, they couldn't help but notice that a warrior had returned, carrying some freshkill. Of course it wouldn't be Cloudflare who had just left, but that caused the cat to stir, bushy tail waving over their companion. "Looks like a meal to me."

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@kazul_3383)
Topic starter  

Brightmaple was pleased to hear her companion state they liked to tell stories to the kits and basically be treated well by the little munchkins. She blinked, looking a little surprised that the other hadn't had a litter of kits. She heard the slightly bitter edge and wondered if none of the clan had taking a liking to them in their youth. "Well, that a bit of a pity, really." She mewed matter-of-factly. "I think you'd have made a strong, healthy litter of kits."

However, she didn't say anymore on the subject, letting the topic drop if that was what Barleyswipe wanted. Her own golden gaze falling upon the warrior who had returned with prey. She stood with a stretch, bowing her back with a delicious shiver, before stretching each back leg in turn. "Let us grab something and go for a walk. I might have something to say to you that might not be for the gossiping ears, I haven't decided yet." Her voice was playful but undecided tone but there was a small spring in her step as she joined her fellow elder at the fresh-kill pile.

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ❦ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

Warmth crept up through them from their nose to the tip of their tail. "T-Think so?" He mewed, uncharacteristically soft spoken in that moment. Barleyswipe had given all too much thought to it, all that idle time had given it more than moments to stew. Despite feeling as they did, it didn't seem right to push the matter on any she-cat - it wasn't their place, even if they felt like it could be well within their right...

As Brightmaple stretched, Barleyswipe stood on his paws wanting to do the same. They'd wait until she was free of the den, and then dipped down, a back leg giving a few flicks before they came out. The fresh kill pile was promising after the warrior dropped off some fresh helpings, and Barleyswipe was pleased to see there was enough to share. A paw reached out to hook a fresh sparrow and began the process of defeathering, spitting out the fluff and taking relishing mouthfuls.

"I'd love a walk." They said between bites, blinking at the she-cat. Gossiping ears or not they found themselves drawn to her own, folded and prim. An odd, but endearing feature that seemed to be passed down through Fawnbriar. Once they finished their meal, they put aside the bones and waste, and turned to more attractive matters - like strolling in the sun. And with Brightmaple too. And their limbs weren't even aching!

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@kazul_3383)
Topic starter  

While Barleyswipe pulled a sparrow from the pile to enjoy, Brightmaple decided on a young rabbit. She made sure to pull some fluff from her meal for her nest before tucking in and crunching down on her meal with wholehearted enjoyment. Once her belly was satisfactorily filled, she made sure to lick every last scrap from her whiskers and washed her face with surprising daintiness. "Shall we head off then? I believe if we can make it to the Rockfield, the rocks might be nice and warm to sun ourselves on. And maybe a mouse or two to leap into our mouths if we need a snack."