Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Orange Moons

18 Posts
3 Users
4 Likes
(@kitsufox)
Admin Applications Team, Information Drive, Medicine Cat Player, Leader Player, Genealogy Team
Topic starter

I was chatting on the discord with @Estellaria and @AirJordanz and Omens was the topic. Orange Moons got brought up and I thought this would be the perfect thing to discuss here, in hopes of writing up what the omen meaning of an Orange Moon is, and what we should call it.

It would be nice to have a positive type meaning for it, because we have so many moon related omens that are negative already, and of course whatever it is would be made more intense if it coincided with a gathering night (to be consistent with the other celestial body omens).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how we should name it and what it should mean?

Kitsufox, CoSC Owner & Administrator

Ashpaw ♂ Apprentice of ShadowClan
Boldstar ♂ Leader of RiverClan
Prudence ♀ Wanderer of Whitehart
Rowanglade ♀ Medicine Cat of WindClan
Savagefox ⚥ Warrior of ThunderClan
Stormkit ♀ Kit of RiverClan
Uther ♂ The Once and Future King

Posted : 15 March 2022 4:35 pm
Topic Tags
Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player

Harvest/blood moons are what come to my mind when I think of an orange moon, so my first thought is that it should mean something about good hunting, especially in fall since the moon starts to rise earlier. Not sure about a name though.

PCs:
Hollyclaw, Warrior of ShadowClan
Dawnflurry, Deputy of ShadowClan
Mistyleaf, Warrior of ThunderClan
Thornstrike, Warrior of RiverClan
Shadesleek, Warrior of WindClan
Morgan, Royal Scion of Camelot
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:
Hawkfeather, Elder of ShadowClan
Nettlesky, Warrior of RiverClan
Ceridwen, Princess of Camelot

Posted : 15 March 2022 4:55 pm
Rinayla
(@rinayla)
Departed Game

Ooh great idea @estellaria! Good hunting/heavy prey month could be a wonderful idea! It might also be a good omen for kits perhaps: such as a large healthy litter or something! 

Willowfrost- Medicine Cat of RiverClan
Pinestep- Warrior of WindClan
Clovershine- Warrior of ShadowClan
Siofra- Domestic of Whiteheart

Posted : 16 March 2022 2:09 pm
(@kitsufox)
Admin Applications Team, Information Drive, Medicine Cat Player, Leader Player, Genealogy Team
Topic starter

I love the idea of it indicating both rich prey and be a fortuitous omen to be born during!

As for names... I know @AirJordanz suggested Moonbright during the chat, and it does fit pretty well with all of the positivity this one pours out. 

Posted : 16 March 2022 2:17 pm
(@kitsufox)
Topic starter

Just got an idea so I'm going to double post, in case we want to save Moonbright for super moons when the moon is extra big.

Tigermoon. Because it's orange. Like a Tiger.

Posted : 16 March 2022 3:22 pm
Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player

I love that! And tigers are legendary, so that makes it more awesome.

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

Posted : 16 March 2022 3:28 pm
Rinayla
(@rinayla)
Departed Game

Agreed! I think Tigermoon would be fabulous! 

Posted : 16 March 2022 10:10 pm
(@kitsufox)
Topic starter

Now that we have Tigermoon figured out, there were other tangential items that have come up in discussions. One is the supermoon, when the moon looks extra big.

We have a name for it (Moonbright), and the sort of insinuation from that name that it's the opposite of a Moondark. Which would mean that StarClan was looking closer at earth instead of turning away.

What does everyone think?

Posted : 17 March 2022 11:14 am
Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player

Since moondarks/the full moon being covered in general are negative, I think a supermoon would be seen as mostly positive. Like if it showed up after peace agreements were made after a big war, it shows that StarClan's pleased with that course of action.

But I'd want it to be a "we see you and you're doing well, but this is a delicate balance that you have to actively work on to keep. You all need to reflect on yourselves and your actions, and make sure you're doing what's right by your Clan and StarClan and every other Clan" kind of thing. Nobody gets to rest on their laurels.

I think there're usually like three or four supermoons a year, so they could see it as a kind of seasonal check-in too, especially during Gatherings. And then an eclipsed/cloud covered Supermoon would be even more of a bad sign.

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

Posted : 17 March 2022 11:57 am
(@kitsufox)
Topic starter

I love the idea of it being a generally positive omen with an undertone of "mind your Ps and Qs". Especially given how frequent they are, the "eyes on you" feeling makes a lot of sense. StarClan is always watching and Moonbrights are proof.

Posted : 17 March 2022 2:08 pm
(@kitsufox)
Topic starter

I wrote things up we've talked about so far to finalize thoughts and give final documentation to discuss and perfect before we go on to another phase of this discussion.

Tigermoon

During a Gathering
A Tigermoon, when the moon is colored orange, is known to be a time of StarClan’s favor. Negotiations between Clans during a Tigermoon are especially auspicious.

Birthing a Litter
A litter born under the orange Tigermoon can be expected to be especially healthy and large. Tigermoon litters are known for having a high number of kits and few stillbirths.

At Other Times
A Tigermoon at other times indicates that prey can be expected to run richly and be easier to catch in the orange moonlight.

Moonbright
A Moonbright, when the moon is extra large in the sky, is a time when StarClan’s eyes are on the forest. It indicates that the eyes of StarClan are turned and paying attention. The Moonbright suggests that things are going well, but care must be taken not to deviate from the proper path.

Posted : 18 March 2022 5:29 pm
Rinayla
(@rinayla)
Departed Game

I like all of those suggestions! Moonbright definitely seems like a more positive feeling, but would definitely be more of a reminder than a promise. 

Posted : 20 March 2022 7:28 pm
(@kitsufox)
Topic starter

Next topic to discuss: Shooting Stars and Meteor Showers

There's been some talk in the discord about this one, and the consensus from there was that it would be indicative of StarClanners coming to earth.

During a birth I would think it would be considered bad luck (much like great cat names) because too much attention from StarClan means your kit will have to grow up quickly to meet expectations.

In the same vein, it would be positive to have StarClan's attention so close  (but also intimidating to live up to).

Posted : 21 March 2022 7:49 pm
Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player

I agree about it being a double-edged sword. Especially during births, I think it'd be seen as more targeted at the Clans as individual groups than Moonbrights would be if it's just one or two shooting stars. Instead of just all of StarClan watching everyone, it's someone focused enough on them that they descended. The reason could be bad or good, but it'll be something the cats want to watch out for (and/or it could end up a self-fulfilling prophecy depending on what happens).

And then meteor shower would be an even bigger deal because of how many are coming. If it's a really huge one, I think it'd be a "calm before the storm" sort of thing where everyone'll be waiting and watching for what could happen after. Where Moonbrights are for reflection, shooting stars are for looking ahead.

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

Posted : 21 March 2022 9:07 pm
Rinayla
(@rinayla)
Departed Game

"Where Moonbrights are for reflection, shooting stars are for looking ahead." I love this idea @Estellaria definitely an excellent way to describe the feeling that shooting stars (meteor showers) would bring 

Posted : 22 March 2022 1:34 pm
Kitsufox, Estellaria, Kitsufox and 1 people reacted
(@kitsufox)
Topic starter

Okay, I think I distilled down what was talked about so far. Here's the documentation amendments for the omens page. I'm definitely open to revisions.

Falling Star

At Most Times
When a star falls it indicates that a spirit from StarClan has opted to come to earth for a reason known only to them.

In Groups (A Starfall)
When stars fall in groups, called a Starfall, it normally indicates a time of calm before some momentous event that has drawn the attention of so many StarClanners.

During a Birth
A falling star is considered bad luck during a birth. Too much attention from StarClan on one so young does not bode well for their ability to simply enjoy their kithood. The more stars that fall the more intense this sense of unease at the attention of StarClan would be felt.

Posted : 29 March 2022 10:40 pm
(@kitsufox)
Topic starter

Final call for input! Otherwise tomorrow I'll collect everything into the final document.

Posted : 31 March 2022 2:33 pm
(@kitsufox)
Topic starter

The new content has been added to the Grand Omens article. Thank you for your help in writing and creating this new lore, folks.

Posted : 1 April 2022 12:46 pm