0 Likes
Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Admin Applications Team, Leader Player, MCA Player
Topic starter  

Tiptoe through the murk and mire
✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ♖ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

A pair of cornflower blue eyes peered through the dusky hours of camp. The last rays of sunshine dimmed along the marsh, and Murkkit's legs itched with a want of movement. For too long he had been cooped up in a den. After his talk with Hickorystorm and Redkit, he knew he wanted to go on a secret warrior mission himself. He felt tugged towards the wilderness, some small part of him driven to find his sire and let him know he was okay.

Using the dusk to his advantage, he crept out of the entrance when he noticed the coast was clear. Murkkit was prepared to go out on an adventure, and had eaten his fill of lizard some time ago, awoken from his nap and gave himself a good stretching. His body hung low, mimicking the stealthy measure that his old mother had taught them while they were on the move.

Small paws brought him around to the east tunnel, his head craning to see the protective briars above him. Taking another step would take him out of camp, but waiting around to be discovered wouldn't help in his mission. And so, he steeled himself, swallowed a measure of his uncertainty, and stalked around to the other side of the briar wall.

Heaving a breath, he half pressed against the wall - he had made it through, and now... it was just a million more steps forward. He continued to tip toe, keeping his ears and wide eyes alert.

Day

Who

Heronsong & Murkkit

What

Catching a kit trying to sneak out of camp

Where

Camp entrance, slightly outside

FROM RIVERCLAN:

Cottonbright, ♀ Anxious Warrior
Nettlepaw, ♂ Cynical Medicine Cat's Apprentice
Merrykit, ♀ Contented Kit
Otterwhisker, ♀ Adventurous Elder

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Brindlepaw, ♀ Selfish Apprentice
Bravesong, ♂ Gracious Elder
Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

Cloudflare, ♂ Suave Warrior
Barleyswipe, ⚧ Ornery Elder

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader
Honeyglow, ♂ Reserved Elder
Murkkit, ♂ Opportunistic Kit

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Ahryndae, ♀ Princess of Camelot

Lelouch Von Noon, ♂ Marquess of Noon Cattery

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

mushroom
(@mushroom)
Player

HERONSONG

Sunset brought in a warmth that Heronsong relished just before the night would cool everything down. She had been hard at work patching up parts of the briars forming walls around their camp, as some had become displaced or broken in the recent heavy rains. Walking her last circle of the bushes, she paused as she caught sight of one of the entrance tunnels. A smokey blue kitten was quietly slipping his way out of camp. It seemed he hadn't noticed her position.

With a pitying sigh, Heronsong stealthily padded over, keeping her practiced paws light and near-silent. Ever since she had brought him home after the gathering, she had sensed him to be an adventurous type, and there was nothing wrong with that...but she'd heard him tell the story of an owl attack before, and well, it was a risk best left alone.

Ever so quietly, she came up upon the kit as he exited the tunnel. Trying not to surprise him too badly, she caught up with the small tom in only a few steps, placing a single slate-grey paw in his path. "Hello, Murkkit," she mewed pleasantly, "out for a walk this evening?"

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by mushroom

Wrentalon, Thunderclan warrior
Heronsong, Shadowclan warrior
Briarfang, Riverclan warrior
Fallkit, Windclan kit

ReplyQuote
Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Topic starter  

✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ♖ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

Deep breaths, Murkkit, you can do this. Its not the first time he had wandered off on his own, maybe the first time while in Shadowclan's care. Before he could really even begin his gallant explorations, he felt the edge of his pelt stiffen - and for a moment fought the urge to look, it was that same feeling that gripped him right before the owl's silent wingfalls nearly brought him into the sky.

When he spotted a grey paw in his path, he flinched, growing an inch at being discovered. Rats, and so quickly too - ! With only a moment to calm himself and soften the sharp lining of fur along his spine, Murkkit offered the warrior a sheepish grin. "Hello, Heronsong." Hers was one of the few names he remembered, having been so imprinted into his head the first night when he was brought back. "I wasn't... uh, strolling. I have a very important warrior mission I need to see through."

The smoky blue kit had taken kill out of Redkit's pile, and he blinked wryly up at her. "Do you wanna join my secret warrior mission? I wanna see the outside areas - and I need a big strong warrior with me!" Attempting to butter up the grey she-cat, he paraded himself forward, hoping to weave around her inner legs where he'd give her an affectionate rub as he passed by. That is, if she didn't just step over him.

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

ReplyQuote
mushroom
(@mushroom)
Player

HERONSONG

Heronsong's heart warmed at the kit's honesty...and his flattery. She tried to imagine telling him he had to come back to camp. It wouldn't be that hard, and he wouldn't feel too bad for long...but sooner or later, someone was bound to worry. She heaved a sigh as he wove in between her legs. "A secret important mission, huh?"

She looked up to the sun. It would still be light a little while longer. And maybe going on a warrior mission would tire him out for Clovershine. "All right. We can explore a little bit, but we gotta be back by nightfall, okay? All good warriors are back by nightfall unless they're supposed to be on night patrol."

She started a slow walk around the outside of the camp, deciding that they'd stay as close as possible. "Now, what's your secret mission? If you can tell me."

Fallkit, Windclan kit

ReplyQuote
Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Topic starter  

✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ♖ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

Coming out from the other side from underneath the she-cat, Murkkit's expression as he fleshed it over his shoulder was one of total seriousness. "Super secret!" He exhaled with a little mew, his tiny voice much less somber than he intended, still he hoped it got the point across and she woudln't try and pry deeper.

Tail lifted like a tiny gray banenr in the air, the smoky grey kit followed after the she-cat with a bounce to his step, pleased he had managed to entice her nonetheless. "Night patrol sounds like fun. I bet I'd be good at night patrol 'cause I'm so hard to see at night! No one would see me coming...!" Hiding his excitement with a few twitched of his whiskers, he crouched low and pretended to stalk between the grasses at some unseen foe.

He wanted to show her that maybe he'd be qualified for an early apprenticeship. Clovershine had said it would be another four moons until then - he wanted to be able to explore where he wanted now! Picking up the pace, he pounced from his crouch and began to zigzag between the bushes, keeping his cornflower colored eyes peeled for the cats he was looking for.

"I dunnnooooo..." He remarked lightly at her wanted to know the details of his mission. It was more of a need-to-know basis and Murkkit wasn't exactly sure who he could trust yet in this place. The last thing he wanted was to be confined to the nursery for trying to find traces of his old family. He peered above the brush, lifting himself on his tippy toes and sniffed the ground, sniffed, well everything. Maybe she thought he was just truly passionate about knowing every corner of shadowclan's camp...

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

ReplyQuote
mushroom
(@mushroom)
Player

HERONSONG

Heronsong chuckled as the kit bounced around the forest floor. "Night patrol can be fun, yes, but very dangerous. Lots of scary things come out." Murkkit's thoughtfulness impressed her. Not even a few days into clan life and he was already dreaming of what he'd do as a warrior. At least he's adjusting well to clan life, Heronsong thought with a pang as she remembered the kit's three siblings. Were they taking the changes as well as Murkkit was?

"Stay close!" she mewed as he darted in between bushes, hurrying to catch up. Losing a kit they'd only just adopted was not something she wanted to have to explain to the clan. She kept mental notes as they wove around clumps of ferns and tree roots, keeping track of the quickest way home.

She tilted her head at his hesitation to answer her question. Surely this went beyond a normal desire to explore. "C'mon, you can tell me," she tried, playfully touching her nose to his shoulder. "I swear on my own tail, I won't tell another cat."

Fallkit, Windclan kit

ReplyQuote
Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Topic starter  

✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ♖ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

Murkkit's fuzzy, pointed blue colored head poked out between a low hanging bush for Heronsong to clearly see. He blinked up at the she-cat, a small purr leaving his mouth. "Like an owl! Owls come out at night." He chirped as if he hadn't been nearly snatched up in one's talons and ended up an easy meal. Still, he was proud of his knowledge; he hoped that one day he could hunt as stealthily and as efficiently as an owl.

Paws swinging, he pounced at an unsuspecting beetle, landing on top of it but doing little to effectively scare it into flying away. He sniffed at it, peering down at the little creature before he touched it with his maw and promptly spat it out. his head rounded in her direction as she touched his shoulder, and his tail flicked up, still with a bit of uncertainty. His mother had warned him to keep his secrets safe, but if Heronsong promised on her own tail then maybe it was alright.

"I wanna get really good at hunting as soon as possible." He began with a sigh, peering across her shoulder instinctively hoping he would see something familiar. "I know that my brother and sisters are in other clans now... but my sire could be anywhere. I wanna find him and invite him to join us." At the very least to let him know that he was alright, or else he hoped he would be as his wide, watery eyes stared up at her.

He shuffled his paws, and his sad eyes threatened to turn accusatory. Would she keep her promise or would she betray the trust of an emotionally vulnerable kit?

This post was modified 1 week ago by Faux

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

ReplyQuote
mushroom
(@mushroom)
Player

HERONSONG

Heronsong stayed quiet as Murkkit explained what he was doing. Her amber eyes flicked to the side as she tried to hide any outward signs of sadness for the kit's situation. She couldn't imagine herself being pulled away from her kin and clan.

Knowing she had to be careful with her words, she asked, "You think he might like clan life?"

Fallkit, Windclan kit

ReplyQuote
Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Topic starter  

✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ♖ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

When Heronsong glanced away he was sure she'd start yowling for Palestar. Every strand of hair seemed to stand on end as the seconds seemed to drag on for an eternity, and for a kit, that was an awfully long time. Yet when her question teased his ears, he couldn't help but wonder. It seemed obvious to the small tom that his sire would be suited to clan life; he was big and strong, and he always smelled so nice. Trying to put his thoughts into words might have been a bit difficult, but he tried anyway. "I think so. He's the smartest and strongest cat I know! He helped mother when she couldn't feed us well... and he smells just like Flutterdreams den!" While he hadn't spoken to the medicine cat it seemed that they did a lot of the same things. Like lay out bits of plants. Murkkit, a bit more convinced of her loyalty, seemed to perk up and resumed his outting. He turned to follow the briars and wondered just how far around the camp was from the outside.

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

ReplyQuote
mushroom
(@mushroom)
Player

HERONSONG

"Is that so?" Heronsong purred at the kit's recounting of his sire. At least he seemed to feel a little better. She padded after him as he began to wander once again, keeping an eye on the fading daylight. "Well, I'm sure Palestar would let him stay if he wanted, one day." Why not, after all? Their leader wasn't harsh, at least. And if this mysterious sire was so suited to clan lie, at least according to the kit, Shadowclan could always use more warriors.

Steering them so that they stayed relatively close to the briar wall around the camp, she noticed with a flick of her ears a slight rustling along the forest floor. Mouse, she thought. Quietly, she whispered to Murkkit, "You said you wanted to practice hunting? Want to give it a try?"

Fallkit, Windclan kit

ReplyQuote
Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Topic starter  

✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ♖ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

While it was reassuring to think that his sire might join them, he had to find him first, and that required Murkkit to be the best hunter as quick as can be. Any opportunity to practice wasn't lost to him, and his attention perked up when he heard Heronsong softly announce that they weren't alone. A mouse was nearby. A real, live mouse, huh? His mother had sometimes caught a live mouse, played with it a bit, and the rest had their fun. The chance to catch his own and tell Redkit and Dazzlekit all about his adventures was another chance entirely. "Oh, yes! I wanna try!" His small voice was uttered in a kit like gasp, an excited whisper as he tried to hone in on the sounds himself. A rustle in the grass gave a hint at where the tiny creature might be, but even though he couldn't see it he especially in front of Heronsong.

Body dropping down to the ground he could feel the grasses tickle his belly. He tiptoed forward, partially wondering if Heronsong would be leading the way. Even if he had to go out on his own, he crept closer trying his hardest not to step on broken twigs or disturbing pockets of grass... He paused about halfway to try and listen to see if he could hear another rustle. He had to be sure where it was before he pounced. The tip of his tail twitched impatiently. He just hoped they were the only things that noticed the mouse.

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

ReplyQuote
mushroom
(@mushroom)
Player

HERONSONG

Murkkit's enthusiasm was infectious, and Heronsong found herself getting excited over this tiny piece of prey as well. Getting into a practiced crouch beside him, she angled her muzzle toward the clump of grass where the mouse was scurrying around. "It's right over there. You can tell if you listen very closely," she explained. "Keep your hindquarters low, and your tail still." She tried to remember her own first time out hunting. The excitement in her paws, the restlessness flicking her tail back and forth. Now, she kept still and quiet, trying to give as good of an example as she could. "And slowly, very slowly, move forward. Be careful where you put your paws. And once you can close the gap, pounce with all your might!" She held herself back to let him practice, prepared to dive in and land a killing blow, if needed.

Fallkit, Windclan kit

ReplyQuote
Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Topic starter  

✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ♖ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

He could only imagine what his denmates would say when he told them he went out hunting with a warrior! He tried to take a deep breath and focus on the task in paw, but his patience was about as long as a strand of grass. He glanced at her as she encouraged him, and he could feel his chest warm at the feeling. Ever since he had met her she seemed so welcoming, and he didn't want to disappoint.

He started to creep a bit closer, his small body disappearing into the underbrush, but that meant he couldn't really see too far ahead of himself. His ears were alert; he tiptoed forward until he couldn't hear the creature. Standing stark still he waited - and waited. He didn't hear it anymore and the little kit was nearly about to give up when he spotted a shift in the grass. Taking his chance his little legs leaped forward.

When he glanced up he spied the little mouse, except it hadn't fallen beneath his paws, but rather ended up awkwardly landing beside it. Leaning back on two legs, he extended his paws, batting fiercely as he half landed on it. With a squeak, the mouse floundered, momentarily stunned but not harmed, and began to run off unknowingly towards Heronsong's direction.

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

ReplyQuote
mushroom
(@mushroom)
Player

HERONSONG

There was something so exciting about watching the little kit attempt to figure it out. His patience impressed her. She'd half-expected Murkkit to lose his composure and rush forward in leaps and bounds--it's what she would have done as a kit. But he kept himself focused for a good long while, like a real hunter. A hint of pride began to glow in her chest, just before he leapt.

As he missed the mark, the mouse squeaked and scrambled, and without a second thought, Heronsong shot her paw out to catch it. She bit down on its spine with a swift blow, looking back up at Murkkit as the creature died in her jaws. "We kill quickly," she said around it, "so it doesn't suffer."

When she knew it was dead, she trotted over to Murkkit and dropped it for him to examine. "That was really good! You were so close to having it, Murkkit. This is really your first time hunting?"

Fallkit, Windclan kit

ReplyQuote
Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Topic starter  

✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ♖ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

At that moment Murkkit unleashed a furious yowl, a bit frustrated that he had missed - missed! - but Heronsong saved the experience, and hooked it up into her jaws. Giving its dangling tail a swat, his eyes were wide as he half expected to put the creature back down to him to play with. When she did, however, he prodded it with disappointment. "Aw, you killed it... I wanted to play with it a bit. Mama used to bring us all sorts of things to play with." The frown on his face seemed to brighten a bit at her praise, head tilting so that he fixed her with the intensity of his cornflower blue eyes. "I've been hunting with Mama, but she usually catches them. I just tried to listen, watch - and then I got to play with them after!" But it was no fun if the animal wans't moving anymore or reacting to his play pouncing. "Isn't that how you learned?"

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

ReplyQuote
mushroom
(@mushroom)
Player

HERONSONG

Not quite knowing what to think of the kit's disappointment, Heronsong nudged the mouse with her paw. She didn't remember ever playing with a live mouse before--only leaves, other cats, bugs, those sorts of thing. "For a large group of cats like a clan, food is never guaranteed," she explained carefully. "So we kill what we can, while we can. And all the food we catch is always for others to eat. You wouldn't want to pick a bruised-up mouse from the fresh-kill, would you?"

She swiped her tongue over her paw and whiskers, giving herself a quick wash. Her tail automatically curled around her other paws as she sat. "Besides, there's plenty of other things for you to play with. Soon enough, leaf-fall will come, and I promise you that will be fun to see."

Fallkit, Windclan kit

ReplyQuote
Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Topic starter  

✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ♖ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

The small kits face scrunched up as if he had punctured a stink bug as he stared down at the pathetic thing that was once a living thing. Now it was just food - and a boring playmate to boot. He was rather quiet for a moment as if trying to process something he didn't quite believe in. "I guess not." He said at last when she directly questioned him. Wouldn't an elder who might not have as many teeth want something a bit bruised and easier to chew? Still, he didn't want to seem to perturbed by her explanation. It had a vagueness that he had yet to grasp, but he was more curious as to what she may be hinting at. "What's so great about leaf-fall?" He hoped the trees wouldn't come falling down. An ear twitched as he heard another sound, and which first he assumed to be a cat noise and his snout pointed to a tall shrubbery where a grey catbird called its iconic meowing call. "Next time can we go out a bit farther?" he padded closer to the grey warrior, returning to attention. A half yawn creased his maw but continued to spare longing glanced towards the marsh. 

This post was modified 1 day ago by Faux

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

ReplyQuote
mushroom
(@mushroom)
Player

HERONSONG

As the kit sat puzzled, Heronsong was scared for a moment she'd tried to explain too much. There were so many intricacies of behavior that she had learned but never directly put into words, and there was no way her reciting the Warriors' Code would help him understand any further. But, he seemed to accept her words, or at least didn't bother to ask anything else. Glad that he moved on, she answered his next question: "Leaf-fall is when all the trees start shedding. Their leaves fall down to the ground, and they're all crunchy and crinkly--I loved playing with them when I was your age."

["Next time, can we go out a bit further?"] Glancing up at the sky, Heronsong saw daylight had begun to fade. Murkkit seemed to hold back a yawn, and she was glad again that she wouldn't have to tug him back into camp after all. She looked down at him with warm amber eyes. "I don't see why not. Next time, though, we'll ask permission, and let Clovershine know. We don't want anyone to worry about us while we're out." She stood up with a flick of her tail. "Think you can make it back to camp on your legs?" After he replied, she asked, "Want to carry the mouse back home?"

Fallkit, Windclan kit

ReplyQuote