Open to Join Shrouded Safe (13LG20)

14 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player
Topic starter  
The moon's light was always a welcome sight to Duke. He'd slept through the day's sunshine, when the clouds hadn't covered most of the sky. When he got up at dusk, he'd found something to eat and re-marked the area, starting with this tiny territory.

Humans kept trying to muddle his scent, especially around his preferred trees within the fences. He didn't know why they cared so much. It wasn't like he was doing something useless. If anything, he was protecting the spaces, letting others know he was there. He didn't even dig up their annoying flowers.

Now, as the huge tom rested on the roof of a human dwelling, he surveyed. He could still see moonglow past the haze, but it would all be shrouded soon. The gaps between clouds were closing.

That was fine. Shadows always hid him better.

As Duke rose, a moonbeam shone across his black grizzled pelt. He looked out across the big stonepath. There wasn't much activity so far. Maybe he'd cross it tonight...
Day

Who

Duke and whoever appears

Where

Around 118 W Forrester Drive in Whitehart (between there and 115 W Olivia)

PCs:
Hollyclaw, Warrior of ShadowClan
Dawnflurry, Deputy of ShadowClan
Mistyleaf, Warrior of ThunderClan
Thornstrike, Warrior of RiverClan
Shadesleek, Warrior of WindClan
Morgan, Royal Scion of Camelot
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:
Hawkfeather, Elder of ShadowClan
Nettlesky, Warrior of RiverClan
Ceridwen, Princess of Camelot

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Admin Applications Team, Leader Player, MCA Player

Survival demands caution, but greatness requires daring
✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ♖ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

Night gave witness to another cat below, half shrouded in darkness as the sun slowly swept down beneath the horizon. Now would have been the perfect time to stiffle through the heat, catch something for his belly, but Kosmo had just eaten and left the side of the she-cat in his care. The kits were eating better now that their dams milk flow was increased, and seemed to thrive despite being moved around constantly. They were well on their way to becoming the light he needed in his life - and to celebrate, went off to explore and enjoy the night by himself with no other reason than because it was his desire.

The night was his and things were looking up.

His foot falls changed from padding against the grasses to slipping over the grey rocky path that separated his old stomping grounds from two-leg territory. It was much easier to see a monster once its sunlight glared around the corner, and seeing none, crossed without a problem. He slipped through a fence on the other side, but paused once he caught scent of another cat nearby, the edges of this territory clearly marked.

Odd eyes searched for the source of the scent, and barely saw a massive figure as it moved. Surely that wasn't a cat! It must have been the size of his late grandsire in scope. Treading with a decorum of respect, the ticked mink tom called out. "Pardon me - I don't mean to intrude. I merely noticed how near you are to my territory across the path. And, likewise, close to the Clans."

He brought with him the mingling scent of the wilds, distinctly catmint along with milk-scent and the tiniest hint of kits.

FROM RIVERCLAN:

Cottonbright, ♀ Anxious Warrior
Nettlepaw, ♂ Cynical Medicine Cat's Apprentice
Merrykit, ♀ Contented Kit
Otterwhisker, ♀ Adventurous Elder

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Brindlepaw, ♀ Selfish Apprentice
Bravesong, ♂ Gracious Elder
Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

Cloudflare, ♂ Suave Warrior
Barleyswipe, ⚧ Ornery Elder

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader
Honeyglow, ♂ Reserved Elder
Murkkit, ♂ Opportunistic Kit

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Ahryndae, ♀ Princess of Camelot

Lelouch Von Noon, ♂ Marquess of Noon Cattery

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

ReplyQuote
Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player
Topic starter  
Duke's ear turned before the rest of his body as he heard someone after his attention. He scented the air before descending from the upper roof to a separate lower one, comparatively closer to the ground and the other stuff he'd climbed to get up there but still above the fence.

Duke's fur remained settled. His tail was still. Focus glinted in his blue-green eyes, but his face was neutral and he was almost looming over from the roof. As he listened, he looked the other cat over. Whoever he was, he didn't look or smell like the pampered housecats around town. He mostly just smelled like the other side of the path, but some scents on him stood out.

Catnip definitely, Duke thought, and... milk?

Maybe he had kits, or at least was around someone with them. Duke took note of the possibility and scented the air again just to be sure, now that he was a bit closer. Duke didn't smell much of others on this cat in general. Not a big cluster's worth any way. Well, now he had met one more cat from that area and now he knew there might be kits somewhere around.

Duke hadn't investigated those other cats across the path much, but he had noticed the distinct mixes of catscent and how they changed at a certain point. He supposed that was how they divided their territory—the cluster he'd belonged to had done something similar—and the scents of all those cats out there were different from the scent of this cat right here.

Duke kept his voice no louder than he thought it needed to be at this distance. In a mew that might've come across as somewhat gruff, he simply asked, "That's who they are? The Clan?"

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

ReplyQuote
Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ♖ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

Keeping his eyes glued to the strange, large cat above, standing on the roof. Well, it seemed like he was luring him down either way. The impersonal distance, however, wasn't conducive to a conversation, so... sensing that Duke didn't deny him permission, took to the assumption that it was perfectly fine.

He leaped onto the picket fence, barely a teeter despite his size. He blinked up at the tomcat, still at a height disadvantage, but something gave him the idea that he'd be lacking even nose to nose. "There are multiple clans. Four to be exact - all living in the forest." He clarified with a curt nod.

Each of his toes stretched out, extending a curved claw each, before he leaned down to nibble at a toe, finishing with a cleaning lash. "Thunderclan is especially intriguing. You don't know if you run into a savage or a scholar. Which one are you, may I ask?" Everything about his scent seemed solitary, with only the garden around him clinging to his pelt. Kosmo's whiskers twitched as he settled on his haunches, his marred appendage draped over the edge.

"My name is Kosmo, by the way. Figured I'd spare you the pretense."

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

ReplyQuote
Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player
Topic starter  
Oh, he'd misheard. Clans, multiple... And there were four of them? He wondered how many cats each Clan had. Were they all named after weather? Duke blinked when Kosmo shared his name. He didn't think names were that important to share, but it didn't really matter if Kosmo knew his or not.

"Duke," he reciprocated casually, then shrugged at the question of whether he was a savage or a scholar. "Neither. What I am depends on who you are and who you ask." He sat down, but first glanced at Kosmo's tail as he let it rest. Duke wondered what'd happened to it. Maybe a dog got it? "What makes ThunderClan so intriguing?"

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

ReplyQuote
Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ♖ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

Introductions were a simple matter for a cat. Most could be identified by smell alone, and while names weren't always required, Kosmo enjoyed the thrill of theater. Whether not a real name was given wasn't the point. His own was uttered in truth, at least this was his born given name. A powerful title that would stretch farther than any claw of Starclan above. One day more cats would know of it, but for now he was fine in knowing that only the revelation rested with that of his female friend, and now... Duke.

Without knowing its meaning, it sounded like a sturdy name, indeed, and Kosmo couldn't help but smile. "You have no idea how refreshing that is. Mystery is all fine and dandy, but sometimes it pays to not beat around the bush." Thunderclan had been all business, hardly appreciating that he had spared a couple of their warriors scars in the process.

With care, the tom rump wiggled, sending his form across the fence and onto the roof above, still quite a few lengths away. Didn't hurt to be cautious, but Kosmo had a feeling that this tom was warming up to his company. "Thunderclan... Well, it's funny you should ask. There's a story to that. An intrigue of the worst possible way, "He began, his voice carrying the exaugurated note of mysticism as he lowered his frame to nestle on the large of his front paws. His tail waved behind him in the night, the moonlit rays playing across his much lighter pelt, although pointed extremities framed his odd eyed stare.

"It began with unprecedented death, and a deep, foreshadowing sadness" Purpose laced his voice like honey, sticky and hopeful to lure this large grizzled creature into a web of story.

This post was modified 2 months ago 3 times by Faux

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

ReplyQuote
Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player
Topic starter  
Duke did not react to Kosmo joining him on the roof beyond watching where Kosmo put his paws and chose to settle.

Funny that Duke should ask about ThunderClan when Kosmo was the one who named them, saying it paid not to beat around the bush and proceeding to do it anyway, welcoming himself so readily into another's personal space...

Duke met his type before. Charismatic, he guessed he'd call them. Where he was from, such cats tended to be good at rallying others to their side, as long as they could fight and weren't all talk.

Duke remained sitting as he was, but he started grooming his forepaw as Kosmo went on. When Kosmo spoke of unprecedented tragedy and sadness, Duke's face was not that of some fascinated kit or a naive housecat.

"You don't have to regale me," he told Kosmo. "You can just tell me."

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

ReplyQuote
Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ♖ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

Images began flooding into his mind, the fires of memory hot. It wasn't so personal yet, and it would build the stage for the atrocities that followed. It was a shame that this particular tom wasn't so keen on the dramatics of it all.

Kosmo barely kept a whine from his lips, chiding his new companion lightly while he watched him grooming his forepaw. A back leg angled towards a cinnamon tipped, tufted ear and gave it a scratch, some relief from the dwindling night heat.

"You're no fun." The smile on his face did little to condemn Duke, and he was not entirely discouraged. Embellishing was part of his charm, an act that kept his face from darkening with the weight of it all.

"My ancestors were from thunderclan on my dame's side, granddame to be specific. She was wrongly exiled from her birth clan for over-mourning her kin in death. She eventually met and was taken in by my grandsire, who ruled a vast swathe of land south of the clans. He looked to expand north, take territories and give her the revenge she sought to take for herself after the life she had known. Cats congregated to him - exiles, loners, misfits from all corners of the land, and created a vast empire."

He was getting to the finer details of his question, but felt a little foundation was needed, as any good story should have.

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

ReplyQuote
Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player
Topic starter  
'You're no fun.'

"I'm not," Duke agreed nonchalantly and continued to listen.

Exiled for over-mourning? Cruel, Duke thought. What sense did that make? How could one over-mourn? Had she gotten someone killed? Become completely useless? But if she had been useless, what made Kosmo's grandsire take her in? Was vengeance just an excuse to invade?

"Ambitious," Duke commented lightly about the situation, not because he found the idea impressive, but because Kosmo seemed like the sort who needed commentary. "It didn't work out as planned?" He began to groom his shoulder. "Or are you just the first scout they've sent?"

Duke was willing to assume he didn't mean the lands immediately south of the Clans' territory, the area that appealed to Duke and that Kosmo had called his territory. Duke hadn't encountered many others there when he'd gone over during the past few moons to hunt. If a so-called vast empire had ever existed there, it was long gone. So had they just left? Or had they fought and lost badly enough to abandon the entire area?

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

ReplyQuote
Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ♖ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

Functioning fit, Kosmo recalled the tales that were passed down to him from his granddame and grandsire, not having lived through these golden years himself before he was born. He had to steel himself to any emotion that threatened to well up in him. It wouldn't do to let it burst out from him and potentially damage whatever this budding relationship may be. Still, he continued with a cautious note, pleased, at least, that Duke was giving him the notes of an apt listener.

"My mother was born from them, heiress to a grand inheritance, but I suppose nothing good can ever last forever. Circumstances led us out of those lands, and settled elsewhere for a time, but eventually my old grandsire yearned for his old stomping grounds and took us all with him. My granddame passed peacefully, but peace was not afforded to my grandsire, who lost his life by a monster on the path saving my dame.

"By all accounts, she inherited his power and lands, and we returned to this place. I wonder if we stayed here and tried to survive the drought we might not have lost so many, but I digress. Our small band lived there - but were splintered and separated by flooding on the river banks. So myself and my dame made due as we could on the clan borders during the cold times.

He lifted himself, standing tall, powerful muscles beneath his ticked pelt as memories rushed to him. His half tail weaved like a viper, and while he wasn't as tall as his companion, he felt as solid as any oak. "Thunderclan took her from me. She was murdered - and I saw it happen. And then - well, it may be in the past, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be there to forge my future. I'm the inheritor of the Cabal now for better or for worse - Worse for some, I'd image. They'll be feeling the sting of the forest's curse - if they haven't already." He muttered darkly, finding himself pacing the length of the rooftop to let off steam, a restless behavior that burned with every paw fall.

"Who knows if the others survived the winter...I nearly didn't. And now with Belladonna and her kits I've begun to reestablish myself there - but why does it have to be so complicated?"

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

ReplyQuote
Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player
Topic starter  
Duke stopped grooming as Kosmo told him about his family's and group's fates.

"Sorry for your loss," Duke mewed quietly at last. He wasn't sure what else he could say. "I know the feeling..."

His mother had been taken in front of him too, but not in the same way, and she had been alive the last time Duke saw her. Comparing their situations didn't seem right.

So Kosmo did have kits under his watch, and the forest was cursed? Duke hadn't seen anything cursed so far, but he'd only been there some moons. He'd barely just arrived, especially compared to the cats living there for however many generations...

'Why did it have to be so complicated?'

"Complicated how?" Duke asked genuinely. He watched Kosmo pace but otherwise remained as he was. "The Clans don't seem interested in the whole area."

That's what he really didn't understand. The Clans' territory just stopped. Why hadn't they taken the rest of the area? "Or do you mean your bloodline?" the tom continued. He resumed grooming his pelt.

Or was it Kosmo's territory that was cursed? Duke didn't really care either way. He wasn't bound to one place or another, and absolutely not to his sire's legacy.

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

ReplyQuote
Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ♖ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

The night glared down on the lighter tom, its moon nearly full. His pelt flickered as he moved back and forth along the rooftop, muscles itching as thoughts raced. Duke's sympathy went in one ear and out the other, still fogged by his own pains, raked fresh in the light. It hadn't been the first time these ideas festered, every scenario played over and over again in his mind, and his odd eyes closed, paws stopping on the edge of the roof.

"The Clans have a long and decorated history - they claim to be the descendants of legendary cats, but with that history is also the lesser known relationship of Clan enemies. Groups opposed to the Clans for one reason or another... Violence begets violence, unsuccessful and dull. But what if the Clans could be shaken without claws or fangs?"

Kosmo's eyes snapped open, wide and staring as they turned to settle on the grizzled male. "Oh, well, my bloodline is a whole tangled mess - but while I respect my grandsire's vision, I don't believe that militaristic tyranny is the answer... No, it has to be subtle to succeed. It needs to sow doubt and confusion. Be more deadly than nightshade." He was mumbling now as he turned away, using the height of the roof to stare over the rock path and towards his territory where he seemed destined to live... or die.

"Purpose is different from heritage, eh, Duke? Have you found yours?"

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

ReplyQuote
Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player
Topic starter  
"Heritage or purpose?" Duke exhaled and shrugged with his eyes more than his shoulders. "They're different, but there's not much to say. They're mine and mine alone either way."

Duke wasn't going to tell his life's story to a random cat he'd just met, but he nodded slightly at Kosmo's descriptions of overt versus covert means. At least Kosmo knew about benefits and detriments.

"Tyranny only works if you can enforce it completely," he mewed, swiping his tongue across the locket of white in his chest fur. "Even then, it's tenuous."

A subtler approach would be much smarter—and actually feasible for lone (or lone enough) cats. As far as Duke could tell, Kosmo didn't have the numbers to impose the necessary fear or consequences (or any at all, really). A single cat and some kits would get him nowhere in shows of brute strength.

"Sounds like you're out for more than just revenge against ThunderClan," Duke added as he watched Kosmo's body language. "What are you really after?"

PCs:
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:

ReplyQuote
Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

✧ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ♖ ⭒ ♦ ⭒ ✧

From the advantage of his rooftop throne, Kosmo could stare into the vast span of trees and clearings that were the forest of the clans. He watched bats dart swiftly between boughs and the wide wingspan of a hunting owl through the orchards. Every creature had a purpose in life, and maybe just as much in death. He didn't know where birdlike ancestors went, but he understood where the clan's ancestors did. Remarkable truths that even the clans had forgotten, it seemed, from his short encounter with Tigerrush. She couldn't hear the voices around her, even if they weren't focused specifically on them. Perhaps they had lost the gift.

Tyranny, it seemed, was something Duke wasn't a stranger to. With his size and disposition it wouldn't be too remarkable to imagine that he'd share a place at his grandsire's side as a general to police the populace. It was true, Kosmo hadn't the bodies or resources yet to physically threaten the clans, but with unspoken ways, he could burrow his way deep, unseen and unfathomable to their crude minds.

He turned towards Duke again, before stretching himself against the span near edge near where the gutter fed out. "Tell me a bit about yourself, Duke. I've been rude in running my mouth without any consideration to what you could share. Have you spent time with a large group of cats before?" He wanted to pry, to learn the grizzled male's secrets before he revealed more of his own. After all, Kosmo had been quite generous so far and he had much to learn about the residents of Whitehart.

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN: