Notifications
Clear all

Closed Thread [Closed] Dreaming of Feathers...

10 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rage)
Player Information Drive, MCA Player, Genealogy Team
Topic starter  

Coldgaze started – suddenly awake – his claws already unsheathe and gripping the soft moss of his nest. He shuttered and took deep breaths, a cry dying in his throat. Although the experience was jarring it wasn’t surprising. He found that he slept poorly when Starclan was out.

He softly shook off the moss from his fur, sheathing his claws and giving himself a few licks to make his fur lay flat. He wasn’t a medicine cat so he couldn’t interpret the dreams that had been hounding him since his near-death experience as an apprentice. But he did know some cats who could. Slipping out of the warrior den, so as not to scare or alert any of the sleeping cats around him, he made his way across Riverclan's camp.

Ever since his sibling died he had been plagued with more nightmares. At first, he tried ignoring them – they were probably stress related. But they only got worse when Duckfeather died this moon and he found himself patrolling the land of his ancestors alongside them, with the moon as his only source of light. He had spoken to Willowfrost on occasion regarding the disturbing scenes and she was able to alleviate his worries a bit. But…

Well – alleviating and removing were two different things.

If the medicine cats were asleep, he would simply patrol the territory or replace one of the warriors on watch. No one ever complained when he asked to switch with them. Any sane cat would prefer to be sleeping. He just didn’t want this lack of sleep to affect his work for the clan.

The Medicine cat’s den was quiet as he padded to the entrance, and poked his head in. The smell was associated with… mixed emotions. He enjoyed the cats but disliked the extreme bodily harm in his experiences. Much to his surprise Nettlepaw was still stirring in his nest. Coldgaze blinked at the cream tabby. Even around cats he like, he wasn’t one for words. But he had visited the den enough times that Nettlepaw likely knew why he was there. Especially at this hour.

Day

Who

Coldgaze and Nettlepaw (and Willowfrost by proximity)

What

Coldgaze visits the Medicine Cat Den in an attempt to understand strange dreams, and Nettlepaw offers some advice.

Where

Riverclan Medicine Cat Den

This topic was modified 1 month ago by Faux

Characters:
Coldgaze: (M) Stoic Riverclan Deputy
Gingerthrash: (M) Arrogant Thunderclan Elder
Lawn Gnome: (F) Motherly Semi-Feral Shecat
Piperpaw: (F) Meek Windclan Medicine Cat Apprentice
Sootpaw: (M) Bubbly Shadowclan Apprentice
Sturgeonkit: (M) Sleepy Riverclan Kit
Sunstrike: (F) Anxious Thunderclan Warrior
NPCs:
Quailcall: (F) Fierce Thunderclan Warrior

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Admin Applications Team, Leader Player, MCA Player

rise from the smoldering pyre of wormwood and weeds
↫ ⭒ ☽ ⭒ 〄 ⭒ ☾ ⭒ ↬

Nettlepaw's nights had been sleepless in most regards since the troubling incident of Duckfeather's demise right at the end of his paws. A lesser cat might have been disturbed about how it all happened, that maybe her death could have been prevented - but there wasn't anything he could do but watched her body's life seep from her, like water evaporating in a shallow pool. Since the incident his dreams had been afflicted, each scenario a bit different from the last. If they were omens of comfort or torment he couldn't entirely be sure, but tonight was no different.

The lanky cream tom stirred in his nest lined with moss and mouse fluff. He always spent meticulous time making sure his nest was comfortable and clean, but it brought him no respite. His paws itched for motion, and he was sure he could neaten their stock of herbs, or fuss over their placement, but before he could decide for himself his pale blue eyes flickered to the den's entrance. His head lifted, nostrils confirming the stranger's presence. Coldgaze. His eyes narrowed slightly in the darkness of the tunnels, more curious than accusatory. It would have been more inconvenient to have been woken up.

A small yawn peaked his jaws before he rose delicately from his nest, making extra sure not to disturb Willowfrost, who was more or less a deeper sleeper. He met the deputy at the entrance of their sleeping den, and pushed by him as he tried to lead him more towards their stock of herbs, closer to the sickroom. There was little explanation needed between them after everything they had endured, and his rather brisk greeting was uttered softly.

"So you couldn't sleep either, huh? Well... What can I do for you, Coldgaze." Nettlepaw, at least compared to his brother, thought himself very mature for his age. His duties kept him eternally busy, far too busy to socialize with his clan. Willowfrost needed tending too just as much due to her failing eyes nowadays...

FROM RIVERCLAN:

Cottonbright, ♀ Anxious Warrior
Nettlepaw, ♂ Cynical Medicine Cat's Apprentice
Merrykit, ♀ Contented Kit
Otterwhisker, ♀ Adventurous Elder

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Brindlepaw, ♀ Selfish Apprentice
Bravesong, ♂ Gracious Elder
Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

Cloudflare, ♂ Suave Warrior
Barleyswipe, ⚧ Ornery Elder

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader
Honeyglow, ♂ Reserved Elder
Murkkit, ♂ Opportunistic Kit

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Ahryndae, ♀ Princess of Camelot

Lelouch Von Noon, ♂ Marquess of Noon Cattery

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@rage)
Topic starter  

Coldgaze let the younger cat collect himself before following him out to the herbs. Sometimes he forgot that his old mentor was Nettlepaw's dame - it wasn't surprising that sleep evaded the both of them. "I did try to sleep." There were nights that he didn't even bother, and had gotten chewed out by Willowfrost on more than one occasion. "But I thought... well..this was a strange one."

Herbs were never Coldgaze's forte, but he recognized a handful of them simply from his time in the Medicine den. He knew better than to try and help, so he settled out of the way of the apprentice, and waiting for confirmation to continue. Now might not be a good time seeing as Nettlepaw was also awake. Something could be weighing on the apprentice's mind.

After a moment of silence, he spoke again. "Duckfeather's passing wasn't a failure on your part. I hope you realize that." In his heart he knew this; he hadn't been in the camp at the time but from what he heard Nettlepaw had done everything right. Sometimes there really was nothing you could do.

Characters:
NPCs:

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

↫ ⭒ ☽ ⭒ 〄 ⭒ ☾ ⭒ ↬

If Coldgaze had spoken, Nettlepaw seemed not listening. Instead he headed purposefully to the herbs to seek desired distraction. He did not want to dwell on anything besides his duties. Starclan had seen his potential, and he had every intension of living up to that. His tail was stiff as he settled on his haunches in front of the herb storage, pausing to reflect on each by smell as Willowfrost had taught him. She would understand the importance of scent as much as sight, and he followed her example - learning these herbs inside and out.

He only stopped once the silence was broken. He felt his hackles straighten against his spine - moved by his words, although he felt as cold as the deputy's name. He slowly inhaled, breath surprisingly steady as he finally turned to look at him fully as if he were really there. Eyes hard, the apprentice whispered, although it was more like a hiss. "Duckfeather was an optimal warrior; she was strong, healthy, she had a litter of kits - the ultimate gift for one's clan. She deserved a dignified death - not, n-not that!" The tom might have implied that not every cat was worthy of such, but for his dame and all her accomplishments, he couldn't imagine why Starclan had taken her in such a way.

He steadied himself after another moment of silence, fur smoothing over as neatly as it had risen. Icy calm fell upon him, and turned towards the herbs again, peering through the darkness and smelling where his sight failed him. It was good practice...

"Dreams are powerful things if you're blessed enough to remember them... let alone dechipher. I've been having them too as of late. Even as a kit, mine have always been vivid, if not cryptic. Starclan doesn't measure in absolutes."

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@rage)
Topic starter  

Coldgaze's lack of movement didn't betray any of his thoughts. He respected Nettlepaw enough to not press the issue - maybe he would bring it up again later when they both had enough sleep. He ended the conversation with a final thought before moving on. "You were there for her as she left. Medicine cat or not - that is all we can ask of our kin."

After a moment of hesitation, he recalled the dream that had startled him awake.

“I was at the river. A cliff face had appeared overnight on the Thunderclan side. And the cliff was crumbling, with rocks sending up huge waves. But when I looked, the stone dissolved into feathers.” He shook his head. Feathers wouldn’t cause that big of a splash – but he remembered trying to breathe and being smothered by the soft down as the water rose.

“I was drowning.”  He took another deep breath to confirm he was in fact on solid ground. The water wasn’t rising. He was fine. His mismatched eyes watched Nettlepaw work. "I worry that Splashpelt..."

Characters:
NPCs:

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

↫ ⭒ ☽ ⭒ 〄 ⭒ ☾ ⭒ ↬

While the apprentice didn't seem very attentive, he listened carefully to Coldgaze's dream. He tried to picture what the other tom had seen, and he felt himself shiver as if he imagined the water rising up to meet him. Drowning in one's thoughts, so to speak. Once Nettlepaw had arranged a dried pile of thyme appropriately and fussed a bit over a spilled leave or two, he stilled from his work.

He nodded slowly with each description, pausing to ponder, and blinking back at him. The idea of suffocating in the endless stream of rising water was a bit chilling, but there was little question as to what was bothering his deputy. The fact that he revealed his dreams to him was a strange comfort, unable to fully describe. It was as if the tom trusted him, and he wanted to respect that trust.

"Go on..." He bade, if a bit sharply. Nettlepaw, while skilled in his own right, wasn't the warmest when it came to his bedside manner. Willowfrost was the more calming of the two cats, even when she didn't roll in lavender. He found himself studying the tom as if he were some foriegn animal - fascniated about the emotion, however small, that plagued his thoughts. Few things could move the stoic deputy and had been hit, perhaps, equally if not harder by his loses.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Faux

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@rage)
Topic starter  

Coldgaze got his voice under control as he continued, stating his concern as more of a observation rather than something that was nagging at him. "I worry that perhaps Starclan does not approve of me." There wasn't much else to say on the matter. He was a new Deputy - and on moon he was given the title his only remaining kin and his mentor had passed. Both healthy cats, and both unexpected.

"I've had dreams since I was an apprentice. They've only gotten dark in the last few moons." His stiff posture didn't change much, but he was looking over Nettlepaw rather than at him; trying to maintain the composure he was known for. "I wasn't there when either of them died. I should have been."

Characters:
NPCs:

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

↫ ⭒ ☽ ⭒ 〄 ⭒ ☾ ⭒ ↬

In the warming darkness of the tunnels Nettlepaw absorbed the fallacies of emotion, or lack there of. No doubt it ate at them like fleas, biting where one could only scratch without ever finding the source. But there was hope for them, as the apprentice would reveal soon. Head tilting back at the deputy, there was no hiding intent as he stared directly at him.

"Listen... Tonight I dreamed I was wrapped in a storm that followed me. The storm grew bigger, encompassing the camp and I could hear the calls of my clanmates as they tried to reach me. I knew that if I stayed, the storm could destroy everything - so I wandered out into the wilderness that stretched in around me. I ran and ran from the storm until, breathless, I came across a pond where the sunlight shone down from the darkness that threatened to consume everything. In that pond a single, sunny duck splashed around, happy in its existence and oblivious to the horrors around it."

He paused, strictly to observe the silence. Perhaps to detect if something, or someone might be listening. Blinking at the tom, he sat on his haunches, fringed tail coiling around his white paws on his otherwise cream ticked body. "To live is to struggle. While life is punctuated by joy, living is assuredly full of suffering despite even a medicine cat's 'best intentions'. Splashpelt... Duckfeather... They are in a better place now. They are happy and at peace in Starclan's starry embrace. Life here is short... and our loved ones shouldn't have to look down and see us suffering in such a way, not when living can be so tough to begin with."

In a way Nettlepaw had evolved to escape the utter monotone of warriorhood, but now lived to tend to his clan's woes and, likewise, ease whatever suffering he could. Remembering this, he recalled his training, and motioned towards the herb stores. "If you need it, I can give you a poppy seed to help you sleep. Maybe I should have one too."

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

(@rage)
Topic starter  

He gave a purr of comfort as the apprentice shared his experience - stormy weather was indeed on the way for the clan. Both literally and figuratively.

While the Medicine cat's assurance didn't remove the worry of illegitimacy from Coldgaze's heart, knowing that his loved ones would want the best for him gave him some solace. They were in a better place and he could handle their absence. Yet Nettlepaw didn't deserve to deal with this much grief at this age, although Coldgaze would be lying if he said it was an uncommon experience. He and his brother had the same happen. The young cat could handle the loss - the same circumstances had given Coldgaze the strength to get where he is today.

Still, he wished it otherwise. There was no valor in pain.

"I will pass on the seeds." With a stretch, the vulnerability was gone once more and replaced with the cat his clan saw him to be. Harsh and fair. He excused himself, heading for the mouth of the den. "If Starclan has something they want me to see, who am I to refuse them?" He stopped before exiting, as if sensing he had said the wrong thing. "I will take time during the day - you do not have the luxury. Get some sleep."

With a final parting blink the deputy disappeared, heading towards the entrance of the camp.

Characters:
NPCs:

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

↫ ⭒ ☽ ⭒ 〄 ⭒ ☾ ⭒ ↬

Nettlepaw would have gladly given the seeds if needed, although sleeplessness was a multi-headed beast. Treating the symptoms was one thing, but elevating the cause was the main concern of a medicine cat. Hopefully his advice was well taken, and before long Coldgaze returned to the stoic cat he knew him to be. He gave a sleepy nod, deciding to pass on the poppy himself too. Perhaps the deputies insight had given him a bit of confidence as well. "Yes, you're right. There will be much to do. Good night, Coldgaze." He mewed softly before he shifted, turning back to his nest and circling the mossy divot. It wasn't long before his eyes fluttered closed, even breathing finally. Sleep came.

(OOC: end thread. 🙂 )

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN: