Notifications
Clear all

Closed Thread [Closed] A Different Kind of Sentinel (14FG20)

35 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kitsufox)
Admin Applications Team, Information Drive, Medicine Cat Player, Leader Player, Genealogy Team
Topic starter  

WHO: Anyone
WHAT: Rowanglade stands sentinel
WHEN: Evening of the 14th day of First Green '20
WHERE: WindClan Camp

Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

Rowanglade hated rain. She'd had to shift her drying herbs into the Medicine Den's entrance because the rain that had stubbornly hung about that morning had threatened to ruin the work she'd managed so far. Instead she was standing outside the mouth of her den, ignoring the dampness that soaked her pale coat so she could stand sentinel and make sure no one walked on her efforts.

Eventually, as Moonhigh grew closer, the leader would make the call for the gathering. That was ages off yet, and Rowanglade would worry about her herbs drying the entire time she was out. A paw reached out and adjusted one of the leaves of celandine that the gentle wind had blown out of place.

All-in-all the evening was peaceful, always a good sign on a gathering night.

Kitsufox, CoSC Owner & Administrator

Ashpaw ♂ Apprentice of ShadowClan
Boldstar ♂ Leader of RiverClan
Prudence ♀ Wanderer of Whitehart
Rowanglade ♀ Medicine Cat of WindClan
Savagefox ⚥ Warrior of ThunderClan
Stormkit ♀ Kit of RiverClan
Uther ♂ The Once and Future King

Rinayla
(@rinayla)
Departed Game

I took a walk in the woods, and came out taller than the trees.
‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

Pinestep padded through the rain, breathing in deeply. The fresh scent of water mixing with dirt and grass always made her feel more alive-more awake. The she cat had decided that she simply must get out of the Warrior's den or she'd go completely mad. It had felt so stuffy and dusty that Pinestep had the idea to head outside to find some bush branches to sweep the dust out of the den. That was when she'd truly noticed the rain and plans changed completely.  "It's far too nice out to go back inside" Pinestep sighed softly to herself "perhaps I'll just take a few more moments. Rain never hurt anyone after all!" Chuckling, Pinestep picked up her pace slightly. That was when she noticed her sister, Rowanglade, standing outside the Medicine Cat den. Her fur was starting to get soggy and she looked positively miserable. With a small smile on her maw, Pinestep approched with a wave of her tail. "Rowanglade! What are you doing, mousebrain? You're getting all wet!"  Her teasing was all in good fun and Pinestep purred happily. 

Willowfrost- Medicine Cat of RiverClan
Pinestep- Warrior of WindClan
Clovershine- Warrior of ShadowClan
Siofra- Domestic of Whiteheart

(@kitsufox)
Admin Applications Team, Information Drive, Medicine Cat Player, Leader Player, Genealogy Team
Topic starter  

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

"Mousebrain yourself, don't splash! You'll get the Celandine wet." The words were accompanied by a warm, if damp, purr to soften them. Rowanglade leaned down and carefully, lest she drip on her half-dried prizes, ensuring all was still well.

Maybe she was being a bit obsessive about the process, but being interrupted by rain was the worst that could happen to drying herbs. "I'm making sure the herbs I picked yesterday actually dry out despite the weather."

Rinayla
(@rinayla)
Departed Game

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

"Well we certainly couldn't have that could we?" 

Stepping closer, Pinestep glanced at the herb Rowanglade was inspecting. "What does that one do again? I can never keep all these different plants straight!" 

Her tail, now heavy with rain water, flicked back and forth for a moment before Pinestep realized she might actually be splashing far too much-so she paused the swishing and scratched at the mud instead. Pinestep had always admired Rowanglade, especially with all she'd done for her in the past, but hanging around the Medicine Cat den never ceased to cause her brain to feel full of fluff. There was just too much to remember! 

(@kitsufox)
Topic starter  

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

"It's good for purifying. It works inside and outside. Stubborn wounds and the like." Rowanglade tried to keep it brief and simple. She had to remember that this was her sister and not an apprentice who had asked the question. Dosage and preparations would keep until that time came. Pinestep was a warrior, after all. She'd care the most about wound care.

"What has you out in this? It's like you're enjoying it."

Rinayla
(@rinayla)
Departed Game

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

Pinestep's ears twitched against the rain drops as they tickled her fur. Even though medicinal things went over her head, Pinestep always enjoyed hearing Rowanglade explain her profession. Obviously there was much more to that dried herb than just purifying, but Pinestep wasn't about to get too deep into the details.

Shrugging at Rowanglade's question, Pinestep glaned out at the wet camp, taking in each drop as it touched down upon the earth. "Well, the Warrior's Den just felt so musty and quiet, I was on my way to get some branches just to clean it up a bit." A smile crossed her maw again and the wet tail flew back through the air, drops of water flicking around Pinestep as she did. "The rain is nice isn't it? Kind of freshens things up a little."

As she spoke, Pinestep realized just how quite the camp was against the sound of the rain. It was a bit odd. 

"Oh, and by the way, have you seen anyone else around today?"

(@kitsufox)
Topic starter  

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

"With luck you'll find some nice dry branches to clean the place out with." Rowanglade's ears flickered in approval. Cleaning was always useful, and it was always nice to see others being useful. Then Pinestep drew attention to the strongly quiet camp.

"I think the patrol assignments were heavy this morning. It's probably just your imagination that no one's been here." It was a gathering night, soon enough they'd all be loitering around, waiting to see who got to go and who had to stay. "The rain is fresh, yes. Just inconveniently timed. If it had held off another day or two I'd be able to enjoy it."

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)
Admin Applications Team, Leader Player, MCA Player

Love is just a cloudy sky as far as I can see
{ } { } { } { } { }

Cloudflare was a patient tom, but not when it came to 'holding it'. The fresh rain descended, spilling droplets and drumming on every object in camp. Starclan, would this new-leaf rainstorms ever let up? The ginger and white tom padded back into camp from making dirt, heaving a great cat sigh as the water gave his coat a slick, sodden sort of look.

Copper eyes slowly scanned the camp, looking for stranglers having come back from this morning patrol, but instead he spotted two she-cats, one an older tortoiseshell and the other her younger sister. Rowanglade and Pinestep. Cloudflare tested the weight on his front paw subconsciously, recalling his visit to the medicine cat's den a few days ago where the two had shared some needed conversation.

Warmth rose in his chest despite the casual nip of rainy chill as he approached the sisters, eyes falling on the subjects of Rowanglade's concern. Ah, so she had gone herb hunting! Yet those words brought a twinkle of good humor in his eyes as he remembered her saying that trying to dry herbs in damp weather was a hassle, and he didn't blame her for the sentiment.

"The rain keeping you both in good company?" He sat a respectful fox lengths away from Rowanglade's handiwork, knowing he was dripping.

FROM RIVERCLAN:

Cottonbright, ♀ Anxious Warrior
Nettlepaw, ♂ Cynical Medicine Cat's Apprentice
Merrykit, ♀ Contented Kit
Otterwhisker, ♀ Adventurous Elder

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Brindlepaw, ♀ Selfish Apprentice
Bravesong, ♂ Gracious Elder
Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

Cloudflare, ♂ Suave Warrior
Barleyswipe, ⚧ Ornery Elder

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader
Honeyglow, ♂ Reserved Elder
Murkkit, ♂ Opportunistic Kit

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Ahryndae, ♀ Princess of Camelot

Lelouch Von Noon, ♂ Marquess of Noon Cattery

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

Rinayla
(@rinayla)
Departed Game

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

Pinestep was just about to reply to her sister when another voice caused her ears to perk up. Turning her head and squinting through the rain, Pinestep noticed the ginger and white form of Cloudflare. "Oh, hi, Cloudflare! Good to see you." The she-cat smiled at her clanmate and motioned towards Rowanglade with her nose. 

"I'm enjoying the rain quite a bit, but my dear sister here is quite inconveniced considering she's attempting to dry herbs. How are you doing today?"

(@kitsufox)
Topic starter  

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

Rowanglade gave a nod of agreement as her sister spoke. "It would be lovely if the rain stopped for a day or so." She knew that no-cat could control the weather, but some days she really wished that she could.

((Short, but sweet. I didn't have anything to add and didn't want to hold things up.))

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

{ } { } { } { } { }

Pinestep was a radiant face in the rain while her sister seemed deeply concerned about drying the plants in her care. Cloudflare had a deep respect for the medicine cat - it was unfortunate that she was struggling. Starclan was in the process of nourishing the land; he couldn't wait for all the moorland prey to fatten on new greens.

"It's good to see you too. And don't worry, Rowanglade. It can't rain all moon as much as Pinestep might enjoy it." A soft rumble rose in his throat, pleased despite how soggy he seemed - and probably looked. Hmm, probably should try to look his best in front of them. Cloudflare swiped his tongue against his paw before meticulously giving himself a brief, if futile, bit of grooming.

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

Rinayla
(@rinayla)
Departed Game

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

Pinestep couldn't help but chuckle at Cloudflare's attempt to groom himself in the rain. "Well, even though I like the rain, swimming in a lake of mud is far from something I'd enjoy! Which is exactly what would happen if it rained all moon!" The she-cat hopped to her paws as she spoke, gesturing with a paw at the camp around them. 

"Anywho, is everyone looking forward to the gathering? I really  hope I'm chosen to go this moon, it would be so fun to see who else attends!"

(@kitsufox)
Topic starter  

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

"We would all certainly suffer if it rained all moon!" The thought of a spring that wet horrified Rowanglade. No herb would ever correctly dry! Thankfully, the topic shifted to the gathering.

"It always is interesting to see who shows up from other clans. Though it tells more about the Leader than anything else." Leaders picked cats they felt made the Clan look good, strong. They seemed to consistently favor Senior Warriors who they trusted implicitly. You could learn a lot about a cat based on the sort they trusted.

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

⤝ ⥈ ⥈ ☁ ⥈ ⥈ ⤞

The Gathering certainly was a nice change of pace. Cloudflare paused in his impromptu lap of his tongue, blinking thoughtfully as his copper eyes grew more excited at the possibility.

"Hmm, would be nice to be picked to go. Imagine the soggy sight - all those wet mousebrains. Half of them complaining about the rain, the other half complaining about each other."

He paused, his joke fresh on his tongue, finished with a somber murr. "But it could be worse."

This post was modified 2 years ago 5 times by Faux

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

Rinayla
(@rinayla)
Departed Game

.....⊱🌲⊰.....

A laugh decorated Pinestep's purr as Cloudflare made his joke about the soggy clan cats. That would certainly be a site to see! "I can picture it now, droopy ears and angry eyes as cats sit around in the rain just waiting for leaders to start the silly thing." As she spoke, Pinestep hunched over and dropped her ears, mimicking the description briefly before returning her posture with a smirk. 

"I for one won't mind in the slightest. It's good to get your fur wet every once in a while!" Pinestep turned to get a better look at Rowanglade beside her. "You'll probably get to go won't you, Rowanglade? I feel like Medicine Cats are always a first choice!" Although now that she said it, Pinestep couldn't remember if that was actually true or not. It just seemed self explanatory that a healer of the clan would want to know what was going on with the rest of the clan cats. 

(@kitsufox)
Topic starter  

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

"Leaders count on Medicine Cats to advise them. We can't do that if we don't hear the news straight from the source." Rowanglade gave a shrug-like flick of her tail. Medicine Cats almost never got left behind on gathering night. It was her job to catch what the leader missed while making announcements. "This gathering is going to have a lot of complaining about the weather and bragging about prey actually running. It won't be anything too exciting."

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

⤝ ⥈ ⥈ ☁ ⥈ ⥈ ⤞

Pinestep's performance brought a soft chuckle to his tone as well, a low sort of trill that rumbled along his chest. Nothing to put passed the medicine cat; she took things rather seriously. Practicality was a fine trait, and his smile was warm as his copper eyes blinked over at her. "I, for one, would love to be one of those soggy mousebrains. Of course getting the need to know information about the clans is important, but I enjoy listening to the gossip too."

The Gatherings were an extremely important event that kept the clans informed, after all, but he hoped, that if he was chosen to go, he'd be there to keep the buzz up. Sometimes the most exciting things didn't come from a leader's mouth, but rather, the commotion beforehand.

This post was modified 2 years ago 3 times by Faux

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player

Shadesleek came trotting into camp, unable to keep her tail down when she crossed the entrance threshold. In the black cat's jaws was the strangest and softest thing she'd ever come across: a mole! Where and how she'd gotten it was not the point. The point was that she'd caught it. She meant to take it right to the fresh-kill pile, but then she noticed the group by Rowanglade's den, and then she couldn't help but overhear them talking about sitting with other wet cats and gossiping. Technically, she didn't run over to them, but she moved fast enough.

"Rrrmph--" Shadesleek had forgotten to take the mole out of her mouth. She dropped it like an unruly kit. "Are you talking about the Gathering?" she asked, eyes and body alight with even more energy. The question was directed at any and all of them. "Did they say who's going yet?"

PCs:
Hollyclaw, Warrior of ShadowClan
Dawnflurry, Deputy of ShadowClan
Mistyleaf, Warrior of ThunderClan
Thornstrike, Warrior of RiverClan
Shadesleek, Warrior of WindClan
Morgan, Royal Scion of Camelot
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:
Hawkfeather, Elder of ShadowClan
Nettlesky, Warrior of RiverClan
Ceridwen, Princess of Camelot

Rinayla
(@rinayla)
Departed Game

.....⊱🌲⊰.....

Before Pinestep had a chance to respond to either Rowanglade or Cloudflar, a black cat with a mouthful of prey came skidding into view. Shadesleek! The young warrior looked like she'd been brought in by the wind itself and Pinestep couldn't help but chuckle at her enthusiasm. 

"Excellent catch, Shadesleek! However it is definitely better now that you've dropped it. I didn't understand a word before!" Pinestep purred at the younger cat and flicked her tail playfully towards the prey now resting on the ground.

"And yes, we were talking about the Gathering. There's been no word on who's going yet, but hopefully we'll be called together for the announcement soon!" 

(@kitsufox)
Topic starter  

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

Rowanglade hoped that she managed to keep the laugh out of her voice when she spoke next. "Another unusual catch for you. Moles are especially tender, well done." She remembered back when she was so excitable about the gathering that it trumped all else. It was a shame that it would overshadow such a difficult piece of prey to capture as the mole Shadesleek had brought. Rowanglade gave a nod of agreement when Pinestep covered the wait for the gathering announcement. It would be anytime now.

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

⤝ ⥈ ⥈ ☁ ⥈ ⥈ ⤞

Cloudflares eyes sparked with mirth as a young she-cat sprung into view, carrying a precious treasure in her mouth. Moles were worth the challenge as they were quite delicious - especially fresh.

"Look what the moors brought back! Delicious tidbit you have there." Cloudflare couldn't remember the last mole he caught. Definitely last season. Would make sense that they'd be surfacing from their burrows more. Luckily Pinestep explained they were just waiting around for the announcement so Cloudflare took that moment when perhaps eyes were elsewhere to lap at a paw, flexing his claws as he itched between his toes - the one he'd opened up days ago and had healed without complication.

"They've probably already made their decision. We're still speculating who'd be picked." Heaving a sigh, the ginger bi-color tom took a respectable length away from Rowanglade's herbs before he shook himself free of some of the dripple.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Faux

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN:

FROM SHADOWCLAN:

Palestar, ♀ Stern Leader

FROM WHITEHART & BEYOND:

Kosmo, ♂ Disturbed Rogue

Estellaria
(@estellaria)
Player Deputy Player

"Why thank you," Shadesleek purred in response to them praising her catch. "It's definitely the best thing I've ever caught." It'd been pure luck that she'd come across it. "So far anyway," she added confidently and stretched deeply. "And I think the rain helped muffle my pawsounds." Another reason to love this kind of weather!

Shadesleek bowed into a deep stretch. "Waiting's the worst part," she meowed, as if she'd been to more than barely a pawful of Gatherings herself. As she came out of the stretch and arched her back, Shadesleek noticed Rowanglade had herbs hanging up. Her once-again-upright tail curled with interest.

"Is that from yesterday?" she asked.

PCs:
Hollyclaw, Warrior of ShadowClan
Dawnflurry, Deputy of ShadowClan
Mistyleaf, Warrior of ThunderClan
Thornstrike, Warrior of RiverClan
Shadesleek, Warrior of WindClan
Morgan, Royal Scion of Camelot
Duke, Rogue

NPCs:
Hawkfeather, Elder of ShadowClan
Nettlesky, Warrior of RiverClan
Ceridwen, Princess of Camelot

Rinayla
(@rinayla)
Departed Game

** just a short post to keep the conversation going! ^-^

.....⊱🌲⊰.....

"Ah wonderful, another fellow Windclanner who can appreciate the rain!" Pinestep flicked some water playfully at Rowanglade who still sat hunched next to her herbs. It wasn't her intention to cause a fowl mood, but it was definitely good for her elder sister to realize that live wasn't all bramble bushes and bee stings. 

(@kitsufox)
Topic starter  

‹‹‹‹ ♦ ››››

Rowanglade decided to ignore her sister's teasing and even the splashing despite it being far too close to the laid out herbs for comfort. Pinestep simply had no respect for the challenges of a Medicine Cat. Instead she turned her attention to Shadesleek.

"Yes, they're the ones from yesterday." She purred, happy to see the young cat showing an interest on top of her hunting prowess.

Faux
 Faux
(@foxx)

⤝ ⥈ ⥈ ☁ ⥈ ⥈ ⤞

Cloudflare was pleased to have so many of his clan members brought together. The rain was good at doing that too. Keeping cats close by and under some sort of shelter. Preferably.

"You bring up a good point. You can really use your environment to your advantage when it comes to a lot of things." He paused to blink, thoughtful as he mouthed his next words. Tail tip flicking idly. Pondering, more like. "I wonder what my best catch was? Difficult and delicious are too different things… "

This post was modified 2 years ago 3 times by Faux

FROM RIVERCLAN:

FROM THUNDERCLAN:

Wildcry, ♀ Fierce Elder

FROM WINDCLAN: